PDA

View Full Version : PostgreSQL maxes CPU once HEM starts.

ongameplayer
05-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Once HEM is open, in taskmanager it will show one process of postgre hovering around 90% permanently, or occasionally two processes of about 45% each. These do not stop when I close HEM and I have to end them manually.

I uninstalled postgre and installed the latest with no change.

I have a feeling this issue started since I installed 1.08 but cant be sure, and dont know if that even makes sense. I do remember that I started getting the message about hand retrieval being slow at around the same time. (Obviously its slow since this CPU maxing started.)

I did also purge a few million hands (about 15m I think) last week too. I cant remember if the slow retrieval message started after that. I vacuum/analyzed recently to reclaim the space from the purge.

Thanks for any help.

morny
05-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Can you try these steps http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=162 and also try this also try this and see if it improves http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=162 lastly does it get worse/better when auto import is running

ongameplayer
05-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Both links point to the same section of the FAQ. Was there another link you meant to give me?

Its just that almost all the points in that part of the FAQ dont seem terribly relevant. My issue appears to be something weird with postgre. One of its processes maxes the CPU as soon as HEM starts. And then it stays maxed even when I close HEM.

It does not get better or worse during auto import. The process just takes up all spare CPU cycles. I can still play and the HUD works, but this postgre process just takes up all spare CPU all the time once HEM starts and after its closed. And seems like it happened very recently, either when I upgraded to 1.08 or when I purged a few million hands.

Ill try defrag over night, but can fragmentation cause a postgre process to stay maxed even when HEM is closed after? (And so I assume postgre should have gone back to idle?)

ongameplayer
05-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Defrag did not make a difference. I looked again at the advice in that section of the FAQ you linked to. All the advice applies to when I have the HUD running or when Im playing.

Just to clarify, I dont even need to go that far. The moment I run HEM and switch to the Cash Games tab I get this problem. A process of postgre goes to max CPU usage. I guess HEM is retrieving the last 100 hands for the bottom panel, but it takes a very long time. Something is wrong. CPU usage stays at max by postgre even when I close HEM.

I am not ever running a poker client or auto import/HUD.

ongameplayer
05-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Fixed. One of the recent updates (1.08 I believe) appears to have re-added the WinnerName, WinnerCards, WinnerWon columns. The "slow hand retrieval" warning message does advise removing them, of course, which I did long ago, but I didnt think to check whether they had somehow come back on.