PDA

View Full Version : Can I get anything from the "pg_log" folder?

VUcats
05-12-2009, 05:00 AM
A few months ago I lost basically everything on my hard drive because of a crash. I knew something was up, and before I lost my data, I transfered my PostgreSQL folder onto an external HD. The folder is about 3 GB, most of which is in the pg_log folder, which appears to have text logs of all of the imports HEM did.

What I'm wondering is if there's any way I can retrieve the hands/info from these logs and import them back into HEM. I reinstalled HEM on my new machine and started with a new database, but I'd really like to have the 80-90k hands that I had on my old one :)

If anybody can help, I'd really really appreciate it.

- Steve

morny
05-12-2009, 01:31 PM
The pg logs folder arent useful, nornally this dosent work very well but you can give it a try and see if you can reconnect to the old database

This is assuming youve a fresh install of postgreSQL on the new machine, if you dont then make sure you export your current database first http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 because youll be deleting it in the next step

if you have installed postgresql again then turn off the service by finding PostgreSQL service in the Start Menu > Control Panel > Services section and using the Stop Service option. Then delete the PostgreSQL\8.3\Data folder in the new installation of postgres and copy your backed up \Data folder over to the same location. if you can't delete then you may need to reboot first.

Then in the PostgreSQL menu click on Start Service this time instead of stop service and if everything went right you should be able to connect to your old database but unfortunately it dosent always work so you might not be able to connect.

If you can connect them import the exported hands from the newer database