PDA

View Full Version : Can HEM just 'read' HHs (for stat-display purposes) w/o importing them?

domino66
08-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Just wondering whether this is either a) currently possible, or b) whether you could make this happen? In an ideal world, I would like it if HEM were able to 'look' into the folder where a poker site writes hands for purposes of determining what players are at the table (and hence displaying stats) WITHOUT actually importing those hands.

Let me illustrate >> let's say that iPoker, as I play hands, writes HHs to C:/Program Files/iPoker/Handhistories/, ok? Well, I would like it if HEM were able to 'look' at those HHs as they're being written to extract the info re: who is seated/playing at the table so that it can display stats on the table WITHOUT it actually importing those hands. That may seem like a dumb thing to ask for, but if you ask me, that should actually be HEM's default setting (it is for PT, I believe). Not to say that you should be following PT's every step, but I can't really see a downside to it >> it would allow stats to be displayed even if a player didn't want to be importing at the time. Did that make sense?'

The reason I ask, by the way, is because (as i wrote before) I have a huge observed-hand DB, and i like to keep all of my own played hands in their own DB...so what i WANTED to be able to do was to get stats displayed without actively running an import...and i'd import my hands into a different DB later. If the capabilities i described above aren't possible, then i guess i could just import them, and when i'm done, export them to .txt files and import them into my separate DB, and then PURGE them all from the big DB...but as i wrote above I simply can't see any downside to having HEM's default status be to look in the auto-import folders even without the user choosing to run the import so that it can display stats on those tables.

fabio
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Hi domino66,

I will pass that along to Roy but have you tried all hands in one db yet?

domino66
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm still in the process of transferring my 10-million or so hands from PT to HEM. That takes time.

At the end of the day, my #1 concern (and what I'm getting at with all of my posts) is that I really like to keep any and all hands with 4 or fewer players OUT of my DB. Yes, I'm aware that HEM and its HUD is able to 'filter' stats by # of players so that I can tell it, for example, that when i'm seated at a full 6-max table, I ONLY want it to draw from, for example, HHs with 5-6 players. But still, the thing is that I'm such a huge dataminer that i do need to also worry about keeping my DB somewhat streamlined, so while I know that I can "tell" HEM to only display stats from HHs with a particular range of #-of-players seated, I much much prefer to simply "do the work for HEM", and keep all HHs with 4 or fewer players out of the DB entirely. So that's "priority #1 for me".

So now hopefully you understand where I was coming from when I asked for:
1) a "purge by # of players" feature, and
2) the ability to display stats on my tables without running an import (b/c some of my played hands will have 4 or fewer players)

And you can bet that all of the questions you see from me over the coming weeks that make you think 'ugh, why is he asking about THAT', well they're probably also all in the interest of keeping my massive DB free of super-shorthanded HHs.

morny
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Are you sure this is how PT does it, i cant understand how it could show stats if the information isnt somewhere in the database?

Maybe what you really mean is this, On some sites for example full tilt and stars, HM gets 1 hand history and then uses this information to display the stats panels for the players, it dosent really need the HH just the names so it can attach it to the players in the database and show their stats.

This is easier for some sites than others and mike is working on adding this to all sites, currently HM does it for FTP,Ongame,Pacific and stars IIRC. However at sites like Full Tilt it will import any hands if you have the table open but you can override this by using Options > Observed Hand History Configuration, on sites like stars it just takes 1 hand to comply with stars no datamining policy. So when all the sites are compatible it will be possible to scrape 1 hand only just to show stats before you sit down at a table.

domino66
08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Are you sure this is how PT does it, i cant understand how it could show stats if the information isnt somewhere in the database?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how PT does it...although I think we might be saying close to the same thing in our posts. Take iPoker for example. The iPoker client doesn't actually write anything to your HD until you sit down at a table and start playing, at which point it spawns .xml hands histories in the C:/Program Files/iPoker/Handhistory folder. If you open up PAHUD, the stats will pop up on the table as soon as the .xml file is written...so as you can see, it's able to display stats without anything having been imported into the PT database. I am suggesting that I can't see any downside to having the HEM HUD work in the same way >> e.g. I think it should be capable of 'looking' at the folder where the hand-histories are being written for the purposes of extracting info about who is seated at the table (and hence be able to display the stat overlay), even without the user initiating the import. From what I can tell, as it currently stands, HEM requires the user to initiate the import process before it 'looks' to that HH folder, but don't you think that's un-necessary? e.g. as I described, why not have the HUD simply look to that folder so that it can determine who's at the table and where to display the stats?

morny
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes were basically saying the same thing, its easier with sites like Ongame,Pacific,Stars and FTP because they produce files when your observing tables whereas most of the others dont so you need to scrape the information from text boxes etc and in fact Mike is looking into this at the moment but it will take some time.

I dont see the advantages of not importing these hands though or not having auto import on because you wont get updated stats etc but the basic concept will be introduced into HM and is indeed already in place for Stars,Ongame,Pacific and FTP as i already mentioned.

Mon
09-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes were basically saying the same thing, its easier with sites like Ongame,Pacific,Stars and FTP because they produce files when your observing tables

Do this mean that we can datamine OnGame with HM right now?

fabio
09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
No