PDA

View Full Version : How to install postgres on separate HD

LanceFire
05-07-2009, 02:31 AM
New computer, specifically for poker. Vista 64bit. UAC off. I tried to install postgres on the 2nd HD but the service would never run. I'd go into PGAadmin and it wouldn't start. It gave me the classic error when I opened HEM "Failed to establish a connection to ‘127.0.0.1’ ". I tried most of the FAQs on it, but eventually just uninstalled and then reinstalled on my main C HD and it works fine on that. I think it's an issue with program access or something, like my 2nd HD can't install "program files" or something like that. Windows firewall is off and I'm using Comodo, but I've tried this with NO firewalls running and it still won't open the port when postgres is on the 2nd HD. Is there anything you guys can think of I'm missing?

morny
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Install it again and try to start the PostgreSQL service as shown in this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 then after a while it will fail and give an error please copy and paste this error and then go to Control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Log > Application error and look near the top for an red error sign, click on this and view the details of the error and post it here

LanceFire
05-07-2009, 02:35 PM
It doesn't even create a folder for postgreSQL/8.3 or whatever on the 2nd HD. It's almost like Vista is just incapable of doing it. I've tried all the things in that FAQ, in fact the services menu doesn't even show Postgres Database Server, it just shows Postgres.

morny
05-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I had a similar session with someone yesterday and couldnt get it solved, dont know why it wont work, possibly a permissions or security issue with the hard disk, the only way we could fix it was installing on the c drive but it wouldnt work on hes external drive no matter what we tried or what version of postgreSQL we found. Maybe try asking on the PostgreSQL forums, usually if it dosent install it will give an error and rollback so try posting that on their forums and it might help narrow it down. Sorry i couldnt be more help but advanced issues with PostgreSQL isnt something im too familiar with

LanceFire
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Well it looks like I have postgres working on the 2nd HD. I've even test loaded a few hands into the db without a hitch. Question: how long should a restore take for a db of around 12MM hands? Have you ever heard a report of anybody restoring one of that size and how long it took?

morny
05-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Im not too sure, ive imported around 9million hands and it took about 2 days IIRC but id imagine restoring should be quicker than importing.

LanceFire
05-10-2009, 06:06 PM
After problem after problem, I think I have this issue fixed. The key is following the install details on this FAQ:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=154

Specifically, installing ALL OF postgres on a separate HD seems to just not work. So the key for me was you install postgres on C:, but you put the data folder on D:.

Also, I didn't install the stackbuilder because I wanted to follow your install instructions exactly, but I had it working on my prior install so I might end up trying it.

LanceFire
05-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Everything seemed to be going fine and I had several million hands imported, but my computer will freeze/hang during import from folder. It even did this when I tried putting the data folder on the C: (main) HD. What is the list of things to try if postgres/HEM is freezing the comp during import? Is it possible HEM exported hands wrong and HEM is now crashing trying to import a buggy hand? I've done all the vista things you've mentioned in the FAQ and several other posts. I ran a memory test and chk on the HD's but found nothing. How would I know if this is a hardware crash? BTW I have 2 identical HD's so I guess I could try reinstalling vista on HD#2 and put everything on that HD and see if it keeps crashing.

morny
05-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Can you try dividing up the hands into several folders 10-20 if possible and import 1 at a time, if you come across freezing then zip up that folder and send it to me and ill see if its something with the hands thats causing it morny@holdemmanager.net and also link to this thread

LanceFire
05-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Looks like it's not the exported hands, as I got crashed during a freeroll with auto import running so there's no excuse for that. I removed postgres and HEM and my computer hasn't crashed since, so the only thing left is to blame vista 64 bit. I've downloaded a few OS's and I'm going to retry this with XP and see if I can get it running. Do you guys tend to notice a lot of 64 bit OS issues? Or is it simply a vista thing? In other words, I've love to go with XP Pro 64 bit but don't want to just realize that it's a 64 bit thing and have to reformat twice. It's also confusing with postgres, I mean should I be running the latest version from their site, or using the one you link for download and just follow instructions?

morny
05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Very few issues with 64bit that ive heard of, if it happens again Please go to Hud Options > Table Preferences and enable logging. Then recreate the crash and then go to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Logs and send Mike the log.txt file with details of whats happening to mlamb1@gmail.com make sure you send the log before restarting HM otherwise it will clear the log

LanceFire
05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Question: when I exported hands from my database, it chunked out lots of hands that look like this:

PokerStars Game #20710450198: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/09/26 13:40:09 ET
Table 'Troilus III' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: Sangolten ($130.40 in chips)
Seat 5: nonox27 ($43.85 in chips)
Sangolten: posts small blind $0.50
nonox27: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Sangolten: folds
Uncalled bet ($0.50) returned to nonox27
Sangolten is sitting out
nonox27 collected $1 from pot
nonox27: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $1 | Rake $0
Seat 2: Sangolten (button) (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: nonox27 (big blind) collected ($1)

In other words, they look incomplete. Is this a bug in HEM? Would this be enough to freeze my whole system?

morny
05-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Thats not incomplete, the SB just folded hes hand and BB won without doing anything