PDA

View Full Version : What is PostgreSQL ?

hurla64
07-28-2011, 04:24 AM
I've read the documentation that comes with it, but I have to say that I don't really understand it and how it applies to HoldemManager. Can anyone out there explain it in layman's terms?

netsrak
07-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Postgresql is a relational database software like Microsoft SQL Server, Mysql, Oracle and others. It is a free software (PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org)) which is used by Holdemmanager as database management solution (like Pokertracker 3 does too). It must be installed on your computer to use Holdemmanager. The Holdemmanager combo installer includes the postgresql installation but its also possible to install a standalone postgresql solution.

HM imports the pokerhands into a postgresql database (which is managed by a postgresql service on your computer and all the players, hands, stats, notes etc. are saved in this database.

hurla64
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here.

PostgreSQL is a database program. Holdem Manager stores all the data in a database on my computer, and then uses PostgreSQL when I run queries, check stats etc. Is that correct?

So where is the database stored? Is it just the hand histories folder? Do all poker softwares use PostgreSQL or similar software?

Patvs
07-28-2011, 11:57 PM
PostgreSQL is a database program.
Where all your handhistories are stored into hundreds of indexes/tables: sorted holecards, postflop actions, list of opponents, etc.
HoldemManager merely visualizes that data.

And when you run a query: show a graph, run a report, use a filter, etc. HoldemManager gets that info from the PostgreSQL database.

The actual data is stored in the Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/data foder.
1 million poker hands will result in a 10-15 GB sized data folder.

All pokersoftware uses a similar system, PokerTracker also uses PostgreSQL.

hurla64
07-29-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks for that, it makes more sense now.