PDA

View Full Version : Clear Type fonts?

Hilips
07-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Its not possible to turn off the clear type thingy on the fonts?

HM2 looks like Notecady now, the fonts are blurred like they have clear type turned on.

Its impossible to use HM2 like this, it hurts my eyes alot. I had the same problem with Notecady.

Btw, HM2 doesn't have the "overhang" option on the HUD? To put the stats outside the table.

Tks

udbrky
07-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Can you do a screenshot of the hud and note caddy to show this?

Engineering Changes to ClearType in Windows 7 - Engineering Windows 7 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/06/23/engineering-changes-to-cleartype-in-windows-7.aspx)

has a lot of information regarding clear types. You can adjust it and turn it off, and tune it. Go into control panel - appearance and personalization - display, adjust cleartype text.

Overhang is currently not supported.

Hilips
07-23-2011, 05:04 PM
The windows control for Clear Type doesn't change anything in HM2, it changes in all programs but not on HM2.

I already "knew" this wasn't possible to fix, a few months ago i told this same thing to the Notecady guy and he told me that was a problem with WPF. At the time i try to find a solution and i found a bunch of complains about the blurr fonts with WTF. If you make a search in google with wfp blurr fonts you'll find a bunch of complaints.

Anyway, a screenshot i toke at a time that i found on the Notecady thread:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4416/notecaddy.png

Just look at the left, with zoom at 100%, clear and crispy fonts, on the right blurr.

I'll take a screenshot with HM2 in a second...

Hilips
07-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Here:

http://i.imgur.com/4HFnL.png

I understand that this probably doesn't affect you, or you can't even see it this is a huge problem for me. Its not because of the fonts look ugly and/or blurry, its that actualy hurt my eyes.

But since i was the only one complaining about this with Notecaddy, there might be a problem with my computer settings or am i just to picky?

udbrky
07-23-2011, 05:19 PM
So this is with XP on a VM?

What OS do you run not on the VM?

Have you tried turning off the clear font?

Do you have this issue with other programs? This doesn't look like anything HM related in the picture you posted. Nevermind, I forgot the postgres was in there. There are some issues with text in XP that is written up.

But as far as the blurring, I don't see it there with HM.

Try the steps to turn off or tune clear font.

Hilips
07-23-2011, 05:30 PM
This is on Windows 7. I just open Vmare to compare the fonts.

I do have clear type turned off all the time, and the fonts are clear and crispy all over the place... but not on HM2 and Notecady.

When you said you don't see it, are you telling me that the HM2 fonts in that screenshot looks exactly the same as the fonts on vmware?!

Hilips
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/endnf.png

You really can't see the diference?

udbrky
07-23-2011, 05:51 PM
No, I misunderstood what you were saying. I also thought you were complaining about the true type being on.

I think the HM looks better than other programs with the true type turned off.

Also, the default in the popup is arial, switch to times new roman, or verdana which is the hud default. See if that's better.

Hilips
07-23-2011, 06:10 PM
There is a diference in rendering on those fonts, i can't believe you dont' see it.

Popup? Im not talking about the hud.

Take a look, its a real issue: WPF Blurry fonts problem - Solutions - Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/190344/wpf-blurry-fonts-problem-solutions)

And it doesn't matter if you think HM looks better or if i think HM looks worse, thats not the point. If that was the problem i could just decide i don't want to use it, but like this i CAN'T use it. It bother my eyes at the point they hurt and get "tired" much more quickly.

On every other program i have the OPTION to turn this ON or OFF in windows, but in HM2 it doesn't change anything.

Regarding other programs, HM1, PT3, Table Scanner Turbo, Table Ninja, you name it, doesn't have this problem. I had only two poker programs with this "Clear type" built in and they are HM2 and Notecaddy.

udbrky
07-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I didn't completely understand your position. I think I do now.

I was confused also, because when I turn off clear type font, then every program I see, the text looks blurry to me, whereas I don't see it anywhere with the clear type.

I've emailed regarding this to see what can be done.

Hilips
08-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Bump

Hilips
08-08-2011, 03:59 AM
I didn't completely understand your position. I think I do now.

I was confused also, because when I turn off clear type font, then every program I see, the text looks blurry to me, whereas I don't see it anywhere with the clear type.

That's exactly the problem i have but the other way around. Now imagine you have to look at your computer every day, in your case, with clear type OFF, how good is that?

This can be fixed really easy in all other programs for us both, turning ON/OFF the clear type on Windows and that affects all the progrmas... BUT HM2. If i turn the Clear Type ON/OFF its doesn't change the fonts AT ALL on HM2. And this shouldn't be like this.

Hilips
08-08-2011, 04:08 AM
This is a know problem with WPF, or wtv, and there are tons of posts/sites/blogs talking about it since 2006 or so.

Like here for example:Disable visually impairing ClearType in WPF? (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/wpf/thread/1c8d8627-a527-4d5e-8ae3-575867e7ea47/)

Apparently there is a solution, but is something you guys have to change in the code. I don't know, i i'll try everything you through at me....

Hilips
08-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Nothing?

udbrky
08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
We are examining ways to improve this.

It is something that will be finalized in the beta, but currently I do not have an ETA for when it will be finished.

Hilips
08-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks.

Solll
03-24-2012, 05:32 AM
I have same problem.
I dont like blurry fonts i need absolutely crisp letters without fog around them

here is screenshot of hm font and peace of font from browser and paint

zoomed 200%

As you see on zoomed picture words "Does any...", "Crop..." are crisp while hm part "Hand Date", "Session" and so on are blurry.

Please add to options check box to disable font smoothing!

Patvs
03-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Do you have the same issue with: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Hm2_2.0.0.6526.exe
After updating your video card driver

Solll
03-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Do you have the same issue with: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Hm2_2.0.0.6526.exe
After updating your video card driver
Yes - nothing changed.
I have latest driver version.

mb this can help you to understand the problem?
DWrite.dll wrapper - SoftwareNinjas.ca (http://www.softwareninjas.ca/dwrite-dll-wrapper)
it helped me with ie9

Hm2 renders differently then hm1, on hm1 all fonts are OK!

But HM2 smoothes fonts...

So i guess it should be option to turn off smothing.

Solll
03-24-2012, 08:10 AM
hud numbers are ok, but popups are blurry

Solll
03-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I turned off smoothing
I turned ClearType on
start/close hm2
then back turn off ClearType
start hm2 and blurr from main window fonts disappeared!! it's nice :)

But the replayer and popups are still blurred... :(

Can you fix it?

And can you please tell me - what font is used in the sessions window and in the list of hands?

Thank you.

fozzy71
03-25-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the fonts and I apologize for the delay. I have escalated this to our 2nd level support techs and have explained the issues you are having and they will be in touch shortly to help resolve the problem.

Solll
03-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks a lot!

Solll
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
no one in touch :(

DogNamedBluff
03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
We have been discussing this issue. The popups do not look blurry. But we are investigating other resolutions. what is the resolution of your monitor set to? Is it a non-default setting? Thank you.

Solll
03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
We have been discussing this issue. To most your popups do not look blurry. But we are investigating other resolutions. what is the resolution of your monitor set to? Is it a non-default setting? Thank you.
I use native resolutions for my monitors. it's not a resolution problem. I write on forum and font here is good, but hm2 is blurry.

It is called ClearType. Please read wiki to understand.
ClearType - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearType#How_ClearType_works)

I ask you to add option for disabling it. On my system it is disabled, but on HM it is enabled.
HM1 dont use it and other software doesn't too. I think it's because of different rendering method of hm2.
hm1 on left, hm2 on right, if i set smaller font it look more bad

the man who started this topic already told you

And it doesn't matter if you think HM looks better or if i think HM looks worse, thats not the point. If that was the problem i could just decide i don't want to use it, but like this i CAN'T use it. It bother my eyes at the point they hurt and get "tired" much more quickly.

On every other program i have the OPTION to turn this ON or OFF in windows, but in HM2 it doesn't change anything.

Regarding other programs, HM1, PT3, Table Scanner Turbo, Table Ninja, you name it, doesn't have this problem. I had only two poker programs with this "Clear type" built in and they are HM2 and Notecaddy.
Please fix it...

Solll
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Bump

DogNamedBluff
04-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I have moved this issue to Level 2 Tech. They will be in touch shortly to help resolve the problem.

DogNamedBluff
04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi. This issue has been discussed and we are working on these issues. The blurry text problem on vertical tab headers has been fixed. Since HM2 is built on WPF, we are working towards the best solution possible with this technology.

Solll
04-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi. This issue has been discussed and we are working on these issues. The blurry text problem on vertical tab headers has been fixed. Since HM2 is built on WPF, we are working towards the best solution possible with this technology.
thank you!

Here is some information i googled:

the effect is that fonts in small sizes look blurry in WPF applications, especially on lower resolutions (e.g. on a 1024*768 LCD monitor), despite the fact that ClearType is turned off.
You can however explicitly set a couple of properties to get rid of the blur effects:

TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display"

TextOptions.TextRenderingMode="Aliased"

These properties can be set for textblocks and other objects in the WPF XAML code. Have a look at:

WPF 4.0 Text Stack Improvements (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx)

Hope you will fix it soon!

Solll
05-16-2012, 08:50 AM
bump

DogNamedBluff
05-17-2012, 12:17 AM
I have elevated this issue to level 2. Someone will be in touch shortly to help find a solution for this issue.

Hilips
05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Any solution for the popups yet?

DogNamedBluff
06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi. This has been discussed and tested internally. While we do agree this is an issue for a small amount of users, the developers are currently focused on critical bugs and performance issues. This may be revisited at a later date though.

Tackleberry
07-20-2012, 06:04 AM
While we do agree this is an issue for a small amount of users, ...
How can this be an issue for a small amount of users? Since I started with HM2 on Vista I fought with this problem ... using Win7 now - same problem.

I canīt imagine the majority of users has WinXP or whatever ... so what does the rest make different? Or do they just not bother with it?

Patvs
07-20-2012, 10:03 PM
We can't see the blurriness. This issue will be brought up again for the programmers/developers after the main database update they're working on now.... but I don't see them actually picking up this ticket any time soon.

Hilips
07-21-2012, 06:25 AM
We can't see the blurriness. This issue will be brought up again for the programmers/developers after the main database update they're working on now.... but I don't see them actually picking up this ticket any time soon.

Really, you can't see it? That's not fair, let's change that.

Pretty sure you can see the diference in these screenshot, right? http://i.imgur.com/9xWXU.png

Doesn't matter if you/i like it one way or another, there is in FACT a diference in those fonts.

On the left HM2 tracker fonts with Clear type and font smoth disabled in Windows, on the right the HUD popup. The popup doesn't react to the changes in clear type and font smothing in Windows.

Aparently the fonts in popus have some kind of font smoth thingy enabled and there no way to change that.

This was what HM2 tracker fonts looked like 12 months ago, but they fixed that. So, someone in your team can see it, because that was fixed/changed.

Just do the same to the popups?

Anyway, i'm used to it by now. I can't use the same size fonts in HM2 popups like i used on HM1 because of it, but i just use bigger fonts now and that kind of solves the problem.

wallace09
01-29-2013, 10:48 AM
BUMP!

I have the same issue and don't understand why it's not fixed yet.
The fonts are only slightly blurry but surely will cause headaches after a while.
Every other program works well ever since, even HM1 has no problem with blurry fonts but HM2 does... There has to be a fix for this. C'mon guys!

Patvs
01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Bugticket on this issue was HM-6026.
Ticket was closed in december as there already was a font improvement: "It looks better than in previous builds. Especially with small and very small font sizes."

wallace09
01-29-2013, 12:08 PM
It indeed looks better but is far from being sharp like every other program is by standard!
I reckon you won't investigate more on this since you seem satisfied with the result "it looks better than in previous builds"?

Pretty dissappointing but anyhow shows how much you guys are still far away from having a solid working software.

HM1 was really a groundbreaker but you didn't do yourself a favour with HM2.
I gave it a chance, but I'll rather go for PT4 now like a lot of your customers before.

Solll
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
These properties can be set for textblocks and other objects in the WPF XAML code. Have a look at:
WPF 4.0 Text Stack Improvements - WPF Text Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx)

if you use some other language then google the way to do it in you environment.

Once again check Hilips screenshoot
http://i.imgur.com/9xWXU.png
we want the text to be like the left one - ONLY black pixels without grey ones.

In this topic we clearly explained you what we need.
Please add this to options. You had 1.5 year to do this. :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad:

wallace09
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
WPF 4.0 Text Stack Improvements - WPF Text Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/text/archive/2009/08/24/wpf-4-0-text-stack-improvements.aspx)

In this topic we clearly explained you we need.
Please add this to options. You had 1.5 year to do this. :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad:

+1

I would snap buy HEM2 if this will be fixed properly in a few days

fozzy71
01-29-2013, 11:26 PM

In this topic we clearly explained you what we need.

Thank you for the comments and links. I will add your comments to the ticket and discuss the possibility of reopening this ticket with the support mananger.

+1

I would snap buy HEM2 if this will be fixed properly in a few days

Whatever we decide I can promise you that this will not be fixed 'in a few days' so you can make your decisions accordingly.

wallace09
02-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Thank you for the comments and links. I will add your comments to the ticket and discuss the possibility of reopening this ticket with the support mananger.

Whatever we decide I can promise you that this will not be fixed 'in a few days' so you can make your decisions accordingly.

The solution provided looks fine, any updates about reopening this ticket so far?

Patvs
02-04-2013, 10:55 PM
I've reopened the ticket (HM-6026) just now.
Fozzy had already added hilips' screen-compare: http://i.imgur.com/9xWXU.png and updated the ticket with the input from this thread.

I have no update yet on a response from a programmer/developer how they'll handle this.

wallace09
02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Thank you, hope to hear good news soon. I'd really like to switch to HEM2 but hesitate because of the blurry fonts.

wallace09
03-06-2013, 09:53 AM
any updates?

DogNamedBluff
03-06-2013, 03:32 PM
any updates?
This issue is still unresolved. I have added your email address to the ticket. You will be notified when there is a resolution.

Solll
08-05-2013, 04:52 PM
This issue is still unresolved. I have added your email address to the ticket. You will be notified when there is a resolution.
Add me too please :)

fozzy71
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Add me too please :)

I have added your email address to the ticket so we can notify you once we have fixed it.

wallace09
08-06-2013, 02:24 AM
The issue exists since more than 2 years... Any ETA when it's solved?

fozzy71
08-06-2013, 08:56 AM
There is no ETA at this time but I bumped the ticket with the tech support manager to see if we can get some more info on this issue from the developers to see if/when it will be looked at again by the developers.

TexDanny
09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Bump!

I can't believe there was a HM2 support staff member that didn't notice the difference in HM2 fonts.

Hats off to Hilips for the big zoomed in screenshot owning him.

Just wanted to jump in and say that the only reason I still use HM2 is because of notecaddy/superior hud. Everything else I do in PT4. You name it: filtering my db, reviewing hands, viewing grahps, etc... I just can't stand how ugly/cluttered/slow HM2 currently is.

Just giving my 2 cents to make this issue escalate HM2's priorities.

Patvs
09-30-2013, 07:23 PM
HM-6026 is still an open ticket. I've added your email address to the bug ticket.

wallace09
10-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I am waiting since a long time for a fix of this blurry fonts issue, still using HEM 1 ...
it's a shame... :/

udbrky
10-01-2013, 12:56 PM
HM1 will not receive any non-critical fixes.

wallace09
10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Sorry, what I am trying to say is: I am still using your old software instead the new one because of this annoying bug!

Your old software (HEM1) is running stable, fast and bugfree compared to your new software HEM2...

Patvs
10-02-2013, 06:18 AM
HM-6026 also has a non-critical status for HM2 and won't be fixed any time soon.

wallace09
11-05-2013, 08:21 AM
ok, no hope for a fix any time soon... :(

However why does this bug happens only with HEM2 and only to a few users, there has to be a setting/setup which works.
I've read through some of the true type/wpf issues threads in the internet but didn't get any solutions for me so far.

Any help would be highly aprecciated because the blurry font is tilting me and my eyes get tired very soon ... :(

udbrky
11-05-2013, 05:47 PM
It is eye/person dependent. I find that what I see as blurry text, others do not, but what I see as blurry, they see as fine.

wallace09
11-21-2013, 09:14 PM
It is eye/person dependent. I find that what I see as blurry text, others do not, but what I see as blurry, they see as fine.

I am sorry but this is not the case.

I mean how serious are you? Did you really read through the thread and also the links/screenshots?
Please do not reply when you've obv no clue what the issue really is and rather continue playing DraftDay Daily Fantasy Sports... :(

udbrky
11-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, I've read through, seen the screenshots, am familiar with the discussion for the last couple years.

I've tried the other way and it hurts my eyes.

Draftday is a sister company to Holdem Manager, so I can't play.

wallace09
11-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I've tried the other way and it hurts my eyes.

What you mean?
we need solutions :(

edit: and sorry for being harsh but my eyes hurt because ofHEM2 an its the only software on my pc with blurry fonts so it looks like a simple solution but at the same time it seems not.