PDA

View Full Version : HM causing thrashing issue with virtual memory

DanielRees
07-22-2011, 04:45 AM
Wonder if someone can help me with the lag i'm experiencing using HEM. Things start lagging when I get over about 12 tables. With around 18 tables opened play is almost impossible due to time outs etc. Been through the performance increase tips and still no joy.

For reference I'm using an Acer 5810TG laptop with a Core2Duo processor, 4GB RAM and Win7 Ultimate 64bit. All the relevant HM exe's are switched to 'Run as Admin'. Looking at the task manager during play the HEM.exe process seems to be the issue, generally runnning at 40% CPU but spiking higher. Turning off my antivirus/firewall makes no difference. The only thing that works is shutting off HEM and then things run smoothly. Considering dropping HEM and adjusting to play without it as I feel the increased hourly of more tables at the games I play outweigh the extra reads I may receive from HEM. Obviously HEM + more table would be awesome;)

Cheers
Daniel

netsrak
07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Please attach your holdemmanager.config file from C:\Program Files(X86)\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\Config folder (or something similar depending on your installation). It may be just called holdemmanager if you've extentions turned off.
and please run a test with a new empty database - is it the same?

DanielRees
07-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Have to pop out for a little while, will test the new database fix and let you know how it goes when I get back. Here's my config file for you to check over until then. 16431

Cheers
Daniel

DanielRees
07-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Updating to 1.11.07a and creating a new database slightly improves the issue. Can definitely load a few more tables before things start slowing down and the CPU use by HoldemManager.exe is not as high. Would still welcome any suggestions as to how I could improve things further. Would like to be able to 20 table these SNG's at least.

Cheers
Daniel

udbrky
07-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Allow the following in your firewall software:

holdemmanager.exe
hmimport
hmhud
table ninja
pokerstars.exe

This should help

ash0803
07-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm also having problems with the latest HEM release.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with 4GB of RAM and around 12 tables in, everything LAGs and its very difficult to play. Turning off the HUD or switching off the auto import makes no difference. The cpu usage for holdemmanager.exe remains at 30-40 minimum. Turning off the AV or firewall doesn't help either.

I do have a large database though. Please help its actually costing me money to actually use HEM

udbrky
07-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Create a new DB in options - db management

Import just 2-3 months of hands

See how that goes.

ash0803
07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Create a new DB in options - db management

Import just 2-3 months of hands

See how that goes.

I tried creating a new DB without even importing anything but as soon as I load up HEM the cpu goes to around 40% and doesn't go down regardless of DB.

Please help

ash0803
07-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Don't know if this helps but looking at the exe through process explorer it shows millions of page faults in the virtual memory literally wwithin the first few minutes. Looks like its increasing at a rate of more than 1 million per minute. Let me know if there's anything else I need to show you guys as I need HEM to work properly

udbrky
07-23-2011, 12:09 AM
How big is your DB?

What is the RAM usage when you just open it?

What are your virtual memory settings? How big is your c:\pagefil.sys file?

ash0803
07-23-2011, 12:27 AM
How big is your DB?

What is the RAM usage when you just open it?

What are your virtual memory settings? How big is your c:\pagefil.sys file?

The same thing happens whether the DB is just created or with my original one. I'm not sure how to find the size of a specific db but the postgres folder size comes to around 55GB.

When I open HEM the Ram usage is around 101 MB and it stays pretty constant around there. The pagefile.sys file is 4GB and it is set to let Windows automatically manage it.

udbrky
07-23-2011, 12:50 AM
I also found this:

Thrashing (computer science) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrashing_(computer_science))

What else are you running with HM?

I created a new thread for this, since it's a different issue.

DanielRees
07-23-2011, 03:55 AM
Not sure that will make much difference as totally disabling my antivirus and firewall dont improve things.

Cheers
Daniel

ash0803
07-23-2011, 06:56 AM
I also found this:

Thrashing (computer science) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrashing_(computer_science))

What else are you running with HM?

I created a new thread for this, since it's a different issue.

Thank you for creating a new thread. I tried messing with the virtual memory settings but nothing helped. I don't remember this happening with previous versions and it doesn't seem to happen with HM2 beta although I need to check to make sure.

I am running minimal apps with HM. It causes high cpu usage after starting from a fresh reboot. I want to try an earlier version but there is a Windows 7 problem with previous versions??? Quite frustrating as you can imagine

netsrak
07-23-2011, 09:05 AM
1.11.07a indeed uses more CPU time as older releases, we have noticed this too and forwarded it to our developers for further investigation.

If you want to use older HM versions und Windows 7 you need to uninstall the latest windows 7 updates as explained in this thread:
http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

ash0803
07-23-2011, 09:16 AM
1.11.07a indeed uses more CPU time as older releases, we have noticed this too and forwarded it to our developers for further investigation.

If you want to use older HM versions und Windows 7 you need to uninstall the latest windows 7 updates as explained in this thread:
http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe

That sounds like a plan but I think you have the wrong link to the thread.thanks

ash0803
07-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Found out which ones to uninstall but can't find a link to the previous version. 06g?

Patvs
07-23-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Hm_1.11.06g.exe

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/96111-windows-7-holdemmanager-stopped-working.html

ash0803
07-23-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/Hm_1.11.06g.exe

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/96111-windows-7-holdemmanager-stopped-working.html

Thank you. I will try

ash0803
07-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Downgraded to .06g and the normal cpu usage is at less than 1%. Will try grinding a session later but there seems to be something very different with the latest build. Hopefully I will be able to play 12 tables smoothly now.

Thanks for the help and hopefully there will be a functioning update that allows me to update windows.

udbrky
07-23-2011, 03:03 PM
OK, it does look like you two do have the same issue. I'll re-merge. The other poster rolled back to 06g and uninstalled the windows updates.

ash0803
07-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Just an update that the difference is huge. I can play 14 tables with all my table scanning software tools and things super smoothly with the cpu barely going over 60% tops.

07 definitely needs fixing. Cheers

ash0803
07-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Any ideas on a fix for this? I still can't install the Windows updates as I am still having to run .06g and I don't like leaving Windows not up to date.

DanielRees
08-01-2011, 03:33 AM
^^^^Same here, not happy running outdated Windows. Seems like all resources are being pooled into HEM2. Shame I'm so far down the beta waiting list:(

netsrak
08-01-2011, 03:45 AM
Sorry, i'll push this again.

morny
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi, were close to resolving this issue and well get a release out asap and really sorry for the delay

DanielRees
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Has this been fixed in the 1.11.07b release? I dont want to download it, install the Windows updates and then have to undo everything if it's still super laggy.

Cheers
Daniel

Patvs
08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
You can install the Windows Updates, when you use 1.11.07a (and b)

The only current issue is, 1.11.07a is using more CPU resources.
I have a i7 Quadcore so it's only using 3%, but if you have an older CPU HoldemManager (just by having the window open, not doing anything with it) can suddenly use 20% CPU. We're still working on a fix for that.

ash0803
08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
This needs to be fixed. It has been too long now. Windows released another set of updates. I installed them and made sure not to install the ones which break .06g but its broken again now. I don't know which one causes this and I can't use the latest HM as it kills the cpu.

Please please fix this ASAP.

megamulk
08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree with the above this really has been too long now, HEM is virtually unusable with the latest windows updates installed and i do not accept having an out of date copy of windows as a reasonable solution. Please could you at least give us some idea of where you are with this issue and how long a fix is likely to be?

DanielRees
08-11-2011, 02:21 PM
^^^ Same as above. I'm really disappointed something hasn't been done about this. A decent amount of time has passed and the option of not keeping Windows up to date as a workaround is starting to be more and more of a worry security wise. Whats next? Disable antivirus and use an open network?:p

netsrak
08-12-2011, 03:46 AM
In this thread is a workaround for the performance problem: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/104811-holdemmanager-exe-taking-up-tons-cpu.html

We found the problem and the next release will contain a fix.