PDA

View Full Version : Issues loading update from 7/22

Veteran68
07-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Just cranked up HM2 and saw the update notice for b4762, about announcing HM2 today and opening the beta. Will the alpha forum be closed, and do we now report issues in the other HM2 forums?

On that note, the update would not install for me -- when the installer ran, instead of showing the proper output folder (remember, I'm one of those troublemakers that install HM2 to a non-standard location) like it normally does, it showed a blank output folder, then attempted to write to "\Config\..." before throwing an error saying the file it was attempting to update at "\Config\..." didn't exist. It looks like the updater is attempting to write to a path relative to the install path, but it isn't finding the install path. I had to abort the update.

madlion
07-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Getting the same...post manual update please.

udbrky
07-22-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/Holdem_Manager_2_Setup.exe

it's in the releases thread now too.

Continue to use this forum

Veteran68
07-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Thanks, the full installer worked. However it doesn't detect the existing installation -- that should be trivial to add to an installer (broken record with me, I know, I've been griping about it since HM1).

udbrky
07-23-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm asking around - I thought this was fixed.

johncc
07-23-2011, 03:55 AM
When i installed, I had to click ignore to about 20 updates, it then crashes

Also the bug forum, can't access as it needs a password, and i dont know what that is, as it isnt the one i use to log in here with

Also notecaddy has never worked on Microgaming, has this been fix and do you have a work around for the crash, or shall i reinstall the whole thing again?

Also tried this update on my main PC, same probelm

morny
07-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Can you get us a log file when it crashes and email to hm2support@holdemmmanager.com and link to this thread and well look into that issue. When you say click to ignore, it sounds like it gave an error to say the file could not be overwritten and click retry or ignore? If so it may be an exe is locking several files, can you try rebooting and reapply the update and see if the problem persists, also make sure you remembered to close down HM2 before running the update.

Ill fix the bug forum now, for the Microgaming issue can you also email those hands in a separate email and well test and write up a big if necessary. I presume it doesnt work at all even when you manually import the hands is it?

johncc
07-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Please double check the email address u gave, as mail get rejected

johncc
07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Got it to work, HM2 not notecaddy by using this link

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general-support/101181-todays-update.html

Veteran68
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
This sounds like the problem I already reported in the Alpha forum. The internal updater is broken, it doesn't find the install path and assumes empty (or root \ path) and then tries to write the updated files to a non-existent relative path. The full installer, as you found, is the solution (but it also does not find the current install path, and defaults back to C:\Program Files, so you have to pay attention and change it).

udbrky
07-23-2011, 04:14 PM
When was the last time that you did a clean install? The earlier versions did not make this change. The later ones did. Sarek is reporting it fixed, as is another guy. But they did clean installs. But it needs to be with a full installer after the issue was fixed.

You can make this change in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HoldemManager2]
"InstallationFolder"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Holdem Manager 2"

Or uninstall using revo, make sure the registry is cleared of HM2 and PASG entries, then install using

This and it should be fixed. After that, the updates and installs should find the non-default location.

We do understand that this is an issue that you have been having, posting about it in a bunch of threads doesn't help expedite the process.

udbrky
07-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Can you explain what you mean by:

I had to click ignore to about 20 updates,

What is the message you clicked ignore to?

Veteran68
07-23-2011, 06:33 PM
When was the last time that you did a clean install? The earlier versions did not make this change. The later ones did. Sarek is reporting it fixed, as is another guy. But they did clean installs. But it needs to be with a full installer after the issue was fixed.
I've done several clean uninstall/reinstalls over the last month or so. If you recall, the standalone updaters wouldn't work with a non-default path, so I had to install full installers and/or let the internal update run.

This time, when the internal installer failed, I was told to run the latest full installer. I did not uninstall first, I just started up the full installer and had to point it at my existing install folder because it did not detect it.

You can make this change in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HoldemManager2]
"InstallationFolder"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Holdem Manager 2"
That registry key has the correct location, but the installer ignores it. I just ran the latest full installer again, just far enough to see which path it chose, and it continues to choose the default path over the existing install path. Here's a screenshot with the installer in the foreground and the registry key in the background.

http://morrisonline.us/pics/poker/hm2_installer_path01.png

Or uninstall using revo, make sure the registry is cleared of HM2 and PASG entries, then install using

This and it should be fixed. After that, the updates and installs should find the non-default location.
So is that installer different than the HoldemManager2Setup9.exe installer that I was directed to yesterday?

EDIT: No, I see it's the same exe, the URL is redirected. So obviously it is not fixed if it's going by that registry key, as you can see above.

We do understand that this is an issue that you have been having, posting about it in a bunch of threads doesn't help expedite the process.
I'm not posting new threads about it, I've only mentioned in one other thread of bug reports before this one (EDIT: I did mention it in passing in another thread I just realized, but as a small aside to a related conversation). I mentioned it here in the context of trying to get this update to work, and noticing that it was still not respecting current install location, as my screenshot above proves. I'm not an amateur at these things, I do it for a living, and it's one of the things that have tilted me since the early days of HM1 -- it is such a trivial thing to do, it's maddening that it's taken this long to address, and even now it's not working reliably. Hence my frustration.

Veteran68
07-23-2011, 06:38 PM
Can you explain what you mean by:

What is the message you clicked ignore to?
I assume he's talking about all the error messages from the internal updater, which as I pointed out does not find the install path so attempts to install everything to a relative path off root \ and fails when it can't find the parent folder. It produces an Ignore/Retry/Cancel dialog for each file it attempts to write.

johncc
07-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Correct, although i cant remember which files, so i just kept pressing ignore

SuperSized
07-24-2011, 07:24 AM
There was a message box before downloading the new update that mentioned that there was some problem overwriting files. On my PC, several files could not be installed during the update process. This has apparently stopped HM2 from booting. I tried to do an uninstall and the W7 says I don't have admin rights, even though I'm logged in as the admin. I tried to use the uninstall shortcut in the start menu and the shortcut does not exist anymore.

Could you advise on how to uninstall HM2 and download the latest version again? Thanks.

morny
07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Would you be willing to do a short teamviewer session to help us fix this issue, its not reproducible on all PCs so this would be helpful, if so please link to this thread and email hm2support@holdemmanager.com to arrange a suitable time

johncc
07-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Got it to work, HM2 not notecaddy by using this link

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/general-support/101181-todays-update.html

So not sure how a TV session will help, as this link installed it, but i will be free tomorrow, to try on my main pc

B-Money
07-24-2011, 04:11 PM
We're having reports of this with the Alpha testers. The cause is from a fix that is supposed to help people with non default install paths. We can't duplicate this here yet, but it's a problem for some on the Alpha team.

Install Latest full installer and you should be good to go.

morny
07-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Guys, we have a put a fix in but the build server is down at the moment, as soon as a new build comes down it should prompt you to update when you restart HM2, ill post an email when that happens but you can download the version with the fix in the meantime.

http://videos.holdemmanager.com/HoldemManager2Setup26July.exe

johncc
07-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Odd Link that doesnt work for me

morny
07-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Please try the edited link