Anything new? It has been a while since I did my teamviewer session and TS still doesn't work for me.
updated to the new beta and it still is not working right. Sometimes it scans and retrieves the tables, other times it doesn't. Very hit or miss and I would not consider this to be resolved.
If the problem persists please take a screenshot of the whole scanner window making sure all filters are fully visible and also a picture of the lobby you're trying to scan. Include screen shots of your scan profile and all the various table scanner settings tabs. Also please detail what stakes you're trying to scan and if you're using insta scan or classic scan.
Please zip and email the screen shots, with a link to this thread and your forum name, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sent in some screen shots this time because had the exact same result. I even changed the speed setting all the way down to the lowest. Some more info that I failed to include in the screen shot is that the tables that DID scan have the wrong players listed. It is almost as if it is recroding the players from 1 table against the players from another table.
Regardless, this still does not work properly for merge.
I gave this a quick test on 2c/4c limit and it seemed to work fine for me. I don't use the scanner regularly so I am not the best tester for this but it found all 9 tables I saw in the lobby and the one table I checked in the scanner list showed the proper players at the table.
I just re-sent...not sure what happened to the original. The one thing I noticed is that I use the table filters and your screen shot doesn't. I can try it without the filters to see if that makes a difference.
I am also on Win 7, not sure if you are, but when we did the teamviewer session that seemed to be a concern of the developer.
filters or no filters make no difference.