pot size post flop raise with villain already bet

Default pot size post flop raise with villain already bet

Hi,

I would like to know how the 100% pot size bet is calculated and why. I have read the FAQ but that doesn't explain why in a pot of $0.60, after villain bets $0.40 my 100% pot raise comes out as $1.77. All I want is a simple pot size bet ($1 in this scenario). Is this possible?

Regards,

James

Hi James!

I pulled this from the TableNinja FAQ, which can be found here:http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...n+Questions#29

"When you are the first to bet on a given street the pot-size is simply the total amount bet on all previous streets. In situations where someone else has bet in front of you TableNinja calculates a pot-percentage bet as the amount of chips that have been bet prior to your action plus half of a minimum raise times the specified percentage, plus half of a minimum raise. For example, if you are first to act on the flop and the pot is 1000 and 80% pot bet would 800. As a second example, if the small blind and the big blind post the blinds and two players limp an 80% pot sized bet would be 4.6 big blinds. That's 80% of 4.5 big blinds plus one additional big blind."

Hi James!

I pulled this from the TableNinja FAQ, which can be found here:http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...n+Questions#29

"When you are the first to bet on a given street the pot-size is simply the total amount bet on all previous streets. In situations where someone else has bet in front of you TableNinja calculates a pot-percentage bet as the amount of chips that have been bet prior to your action plus half of a minimum raise times the specified percentage, plus half of a minimum raise. For example, if you are first to act on the flop and the pot is 1000 and 80% pot bet would 800. As a second example, if the small blind and the big blind post the blinds and two players limp an 80% pot sized bet would be 4.6 big blinds. That's 80% of 4.5 big blinds plus one additional big blind."

Yes, I read that too. It doesn't explain how TN gets to $1.77 from a starting pot of $0.60 and a villain bet of $0.40 (maybe you can work it through and show me?).

To me... 100% of pot + 1/2 min bet is $1.00 + $0.40 = $1.4, so add another 1/2 min bet I get $1.8. Dunno where the $1.77 comes from. NOTE: I don't know the rules on what a min bet should be, I have assumed its x2 the previous bet. This example is on a $0.10 BB table and villain opened with $0.3 and I called, hence the $0.6 pot.

Also the FAQ does not explain why TN doesn't simply return the pot. I assume there is a valid reason, but I can't see it. I would like to know the thinking behind this.

Maybe that FAQ can be extended to cover the 2 points above?

Regards,

James

I would need more information to double check your numbers. The formula should look something like this:

(the amount of chips that have been bet prior to your action) = 0.05 SB + 0.10 BB + 0.30 Raise = 0.45
    (plus half of a minimum raise times the specified percentage) = 1/2 * 0.50 (the min raise) * 100% = 0.25
    (plus half of a minimum raise) = 1/2 * 0.50 (the min raise) = 0.25

For a total of 0.45 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 0.95.

hi,

your example looks pre-flop. This is a post flop raise using a bet of 100% pot. I have attached the hand history. Hero raise is $1.37 to make it $1.77 bet by hero.

I would be grateful if you could write out a formula for a post flop hand (villain bets and hero raises) and explain why a pot raise is not simply the money in the pot (like it is when hero opens post flop).

Regards,
    James
    Attached Files Attached Files

a bing search has told me that a pot bet (when facing a post flop bet)= pot + ur call + min raise

so that make $1.8 in my example. Dunno where $1.77 comes from but its close

TableNinja uses the same calculation pre and post flop. It is defined as as the amount of chips that have been bet prior to your action, plus half of a minimum raise times the specified percentage, plus half of a minimum raise.

(the amount of chips that have been bet prior to your action) = .60 Pot + 0.40 Raise = 1.00
    (plus half of a minimum raise times the specified percentage) = 1/2 * 0.80 (the min raise) * 100% = 0.40
    (plus half of a minimum raise) = 1/2 * 0.80 (the min raise) = 0.40

My total matches yours for 1.00 + 0.40 + 0.40 = 1.80. My best guess would be that you might have bumped your mouse wheel as I'm not hearing other reports like this. Let me know if you notice something like this happen again. If so I'll check your system over for conflicts and run the info by the developers if needed.