Optimal "Persist Notes to DB every X hands" Setting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Optimal "Persist Notes to DB every X hands" Setting?

hey so I just noticed that we have the ability to change this but I don't know exactly where I should start for experimenting

I have a very fast computer, tons of ram, ssd drive etc..

1) What should my every day setting be to use while playing? (it's 2000 right now)

2) If I do a complete notes reset, what would be the absolute fastest I could set it at to make that process go as fast as possible?

thanks in advance!

No direction but to trust the final destination

1. If your database is fully processed it makes no difference as the new data is written to the database as it arrives.

2. If not, then 5000 is fine. Anything above 10000 is probably too much. Some people go higher but the benefit fades with a lot of extra resources used
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

Hi.

If I'm not creating notes for the new definition, but just playing regular session up to 1000 hands, does setting this option value to 5000 mean that NC will not save any new notes to database for this session?

Banned

No, as soon as all imported hands are processed NC will save the notes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sreticentv View Post
    1. If your database is fully processed it makes no difference as the new data is written to the database as it arrives.

2. If not, then 5000 is fine. Anything above 10000 is probably too much. Some people go higher but the benefit fades with a lot of extra resources used
    Hi!
    To what resources exactly does this affect? RAM?

If i have to reset notes and create new for the whole database i always set it to 50.000. No problems......if it's faster than with the recommended 5.000....no idea, but def something worth testing

If you process pending tasks for only a few new defs it makes sense to set a very big interval as the note-creation doesn't get permanently interrupted by saving to the database which gives a recognizeable punch for the speed.
    Last edited by karstenkloss; 03-02-2014 at 05:14 PM.

250 000 best speed for my PC

No direction but to trust the final destination

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Hi!
    To what resources exactly does this affect? RAM?
    correct
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

Hi I just want to refresh this thread as we have 2015 now and maybe some things go better. I would like to optimize my setup.

I have got:
    1) i7-4790K @4 GHz
    2) 238 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
    3) 16 GB RAM
    4) Windows 7 64-bit

My questions are:

1) Why PostgreSQL Tuning do not update:
    a) shared_buffers
    b) effective_cache_size
    c) wal_buffers
    ?

2) Which posgreSQL version should I have? I have installed postgreSQL with HM2 half year ago so it is 8.4 version, isn't it?

3) I actually work on 16mln hands database. What happen if I set "persist notes to database every x hands" to 17 mln - to get only one cycle? Yes I know - probably it would be system crush because of out of RAM - what if get another 16GB RAM? What number is most accurate for actual setup - I can notice that most time is "saving notes to database" - not "creating notes" so I want get as less cycles as possible.

4) What about my postgresql.conf:
    shared_buffers=2048MB
    effective_cache_size=4096MB
    wal_buffers=16MB

I find this numbers on this forum also for 16GB RAM. Maybe it is not optiumal?

5) I just modify one definition and try to update this notes many times - not efect. I try different settings: very small numbers ( in point 3 and 4) medium and very high also. Always it frezzes or stop working at some point when recreate notes (also windows comunicate many times about out of RAM but on any settings)

Best Regards.