Want to stop Postgre from creating those large log files, here's how
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Want to stop Postgre from creating those large log files, here's how

I have gotten a lot of help on this forum with Holdem Manager and with PostgreSQL so I thought I would try to give some help and show how to keep PostgreSQL from writing the logs that take up so much space. I have included screen shots to help with the descriptions.

If you are new to Holdem Manager and to using PostgreSQL there is a folder inside the PostgreSQL folder called pg_log. Postgre writes logs in this folder while you are using Holdem Manager. These logs can cause the pg_log folder to get quite large and for some, even though I have not had this problem, can cause Holdem Manager to lag. These logs are used for trouble shooting Postgre problems and for programing and not needed by us. The logs in this folder have no player info or stats or any of your poker database. They just take up hard drive space. You can just delete everything in the folder every few days or weekly, but this way you never have to think about it. If for some reason you need to use these logs for a Postgre problem this is easily undone.

I am using Postgre 8.3, but this works if you are using 8.2

First you will want to go to c:>Program Files>PostgreSQL>8.3>data (for postgre 8.2 it will be 8.2>data)

Open the pg_log folder and if there are logs in it just delete all of them. Just the logs not the whole pg_log folder. Now close that folder.

You will need to edit your postgresql.conf folder. You can see it here.

Now just open your windows notepad. Now click on the postgresql.conf folder and drag and drop it into the notepad window. You will now be able to read the files and edit it.

You will now need to scroll down until you see:logging_collector = on
    (If you are using 8.2 you may see: redirect_stderr = on)

Just change this to off. (logging_collector = off) like this.

Now just save the change in the notepad like this.

Now just close the notepad window and close your PostgreSQL folder. You will now have to restart your computer for the change to take effect.

Next time you use Holdem Manager to play just check the pg_log folder, when your done playing, and it should still be empty. That's it. Not to hard.
    Last edited by mksmipalla; 01-21-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Thank you for this mksmipalla. I am not a computer person, so could someone from HEM confirm this post is accurate before I do it?

Also, am I right in thinking I can delete all the contents in PSQL>8.3>data>pc_log? What about "pc_clog"? Any other unneeded areas I can delete?

Once again, thanks to OP for this thread.

No problem pellshek, glad to help. Dont clear the pc_log folder. I don't know what the is used for. Only clear the pg_log folder.

Now this is what I like to see. Way to share the info man. We need more posters like this.

Cool, thanks mksmipalla.

Roy/Morney/Mike - you guys should really highlight this issue more. It certainly belongs in the FAQ's in the Maintaining HEM section IMO. I had over 10 GIGS of these logs!! I couldn't believe it, and wasn't even aware it was there before seeing a post about it on 2+2 on Monday. I know you are all up to your eyes every day with problems and upgrades and whatnot, but I think this is important enough to take some time updating the FAQ's.

No Probs, Thanks for posting and ill add this to the FAQs tommorrow
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP Poker View Post
    Now this is what I like to see. Way to share the info man. We need more posters like this.
    Thanks PCP. This can make a big difference if you have never cleared that folder before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

thanks a lot, very helpful

lol I had 28 gigs of logs. thanks