Import Speed - How to increase the speed?

Default Import Speed - How to increase the speed?

I do like the holdemmanager very much. However, I'm importing roughly 150-200k Hands per day since January and since a few days the import speed has gotten really slow.

I'm getting an average of 25 h/s.

So, I would like to know ways to increase the import speed.

I don't need you to tell me that Vaccum Analyzing and defragin may increase the speed, since I tried that unsuccsessfully.

Is there any Hardware that would increase the speed dramatically? Assuming I would have the money to buy one, would a Solid State Disc help the case? Or is the slow speed related to the holdemmanager software rather than the HDD.

Additionally, would it help to move the database to another partition of the HDD than the holdemmanager software?

Please let me know any ways you can think of to increase the slow import speed.

I keep my db on its own dedicated drive. It's a 10,000 rpm, 16 mb cache sata drive, Western Digital Velociraptor. Most sata drives claim 300 mb/s data transfer rate, whereas most solid state drives are in the 175mb/s range. This drive displayed a noticeable increase in import speed when I first transferred the db over there. Import speed did slow down over time, but with over 11 millions hands in my db, I still get ~ 65 hands/s during large imports.

Also, I know you said you didn't want to hear it, but defragging makes a HUGE difference for me, but not by using the standard windows defragger. Get the free Auslogics Disk Defrag. It is 10 times more effective than the windows utility. The first time I ran it, my import speed doubled. Also, regularly fixing your indexes helps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pureman View Post
    I do like the holdemmanager very much. However, I'm importing roughly 150-200k Hands per day since January and since a few days the import speed has gotten really slow.

I'm getting an average of 25 h/s.

So, I would like to know ways to increase the import speed.

I don't need you to tell me that Vaccum Analyzing and defragin may increase the speed, since I tried that unsuccsessfully.

Is there any Hardware that would increase the speed dramatically? Assuming I would have the money to buy one, would a Solid State Disc help the case? Or is the slow speed related to the holdemmanager software rather than the HDD.

Additionally, would it help to move the database to another partition of the HDD than the holdemmanager software?

Please let me know any ways you can think of to increase the slow import speed.
    I was having speed problems to on windows 7 and I had the import folder on my desktop, I was getting 20hands/sec. I moved the folder to the root of the c: (eg. c:\tempimport) and broke the 5000 files into roughly half so 2 folders had 2500 files each.

Now I am getting speeds of 350hands/sec (topped 400 at one point) so my 5 million should be done in about 4 hours

Hope that helps someone else. Possibly it could be the deeper directory structure or the way that windows tries to protect files that are stored in the user folders?

--It has settled down to 180hands/sec but still going strong
    Last edited by jimmy; 01-27-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: update