PostgreSQL cannot start error 127.0.0.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PostgreSQL cannot start error 127.0.0.1 - tried everything in forum

I have tried everything descriped in the forums, without any positive result.

I have a big 20 GB database that I want to preserve. It is in postgresql 8.3. I have tried reinstalling postgres 8.3 several times. I got Holdem manager to work and the database to connect with postgres 8.4. I can’t with 8.3.

How can I get it to work and preserve my database?

I have a HEM backup (.hembk) from the 25/11-2010. I should both contain the database, and all of my settings as far as I remember, but it is only 700 MB. Can I restore my database from that file using postgres 8.4?

I rather want my hole database to work, with the last 3 months also, if possible. Help is needed.
    Last edited by AntarMauna; 02-19-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Default ditto

I have 8.2 and am having the exact same issue. I've tried everything I've read on these forums in multiple forum posts minus completely uninstalling and having to reimport millions of hands. Can I setup a teamviewer session with someone to take a quick look before the painful task of having to uninstall/reinstall/reimport millions of hands from various places has to happen?

Sucks to have happened on a Fri/Sat!

Usually this procedure helps for basic problems:

1. Reboot your computer
    2. If that doesn't help look for the hidden system file postmaster.pid in the postgresql data folder, delete it and reboot your computer again.
    3. Check the postgresql service in the windows services (control panel->administration). Sometimes it helps to change the Logon As.. to "local system account"
    4. Check our FAQ:
    http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...rt+PostgreSQL+

@Antar: you weren't able to reinstall 8.3 following this FAQ? http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...g+Old+Database
    If not you should restore the backup. All your hands should be in the archive folder (default c:\hmarchive). From there you can import them again via import file or import from folder.

@netsrak
    I have tried all points 1.-4. several times without result.

I were able to reinstall 8.3 following http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...g+Old+Database, but the problem is still the "PostgreSQL cannot start error 127.0.0.1", that has been the problem all the time, the database won't start.

I only have very few archived hands, since I only recently started archiving. But I have some of my recent hands. I will restore the database from the backup file, but what will the result be, when it is only 700 MB big, and I have no archived hands from that period. Is the small size of the backup file due to it only contains the stats, not the actual hands?

It is a bit peculiar that this problem of getting the database started, seem almost impossible to solve, I mean it has been running just fine before. Is it possible to get teamviewer session to try to solve the problem?

If you cant solve it with a reinstallation there is nothing else we can do via Teamviewer. The files of your database probably were damaged somehow.

The backup size of 700 MB is a pretty big backup file. Please try to restore it and see what is missing.

It is not that I can't restore it, I never get that far. It is just that postgres 8.3 won't start.

"PostgreSQL cannot start error 127.0.0.1" - I mean that is the database process that won't start, and not the database itself that contains errors, or what?

Thats what i mean - the process can't start because the database folder is corrupt.
    You need to create a new one.

I can't get open HEM cause of of the same error message, I tried everything. I was using 8.2. I want to upgrade to 9x (unless you recommend 8.4?) I need to archive and backup my HH's but I can't open it.

Can I just delete and install straight to postgres 9x or do I first need to reinstall 8.2 and then archive/backup my HH's then reinstall 9x + HEM again then reimport the hands?

I got a grind here to do and just wanted to know what process to take for the situation im in.

thanks

Just try to install 9.0, but install it to a different portnumber.
    So if 8.2 was using port 5432. Install 9.0.3 to port 5433.

Also try to update SQL 8.2 to 8.2.20 from: PostgreSQL: Choose a Mirror
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Default Feedback

Just to give a little feedback:

I restored the database from the holdem manager backup file (.hembk). It actually contains everything up untill the date it was made! All hands and everything. Quite impressive I must say. And the restore took 1 hour! Since the backup was I bit old, it didn't contain hands from the latest months, luckyli I had the hands archived and was able to import the archived hands. The restore was very fast, the import very slow. From now on I will remember to do a backup each month.

Suggestion:
    An idea would be to make scheduled backups possible from within the program, when the database is prone to make a sudden failure, it would be a nice feature! Backups are usually more effective and easy, when they run automatically.

The restore file was 700 mb, resulting in an unpacked database of 9.5 GB. That is a factor 14 from the backup file, to the unpacked database!

Instead of vacuming:
    I also discovered that it is way faster to backup and restore a database, than it is to vacum the database, and the result is a lot better. After a backup and restore the database will be vacumed a lot more effectively.