Advanced syncing

Default Advanced syncing

I'm using this guide to sync my hand histories between two computers. They both have individual databases consisting of the same hands, however the notes are not shared using this method. Is there any way to merge the notes (other than to switch syncing method to share the same db)?

AFAIK the notes are stored in the database?

A rough method would be to export notes from both db's to textfiles from time to time and then merge them manually. This would be a major pain in the buttholes and is probably not worth the effort if you are an avid notetaker.

Another (probably bad) method would be (if possible) to keep the database in the Dropbox-folder and thus use it from both computers. This way everything would be synced. However syncing the db would take quite a while if it's big which renders this option practically useless.

Is it possible to implement a feature to keep the notes in a separate file from the db and to be able to specify its location manually (eg Dropbox folder)? Or does anyone have a better idea?

It would also be awesome to be able to keep HEM's Config-folder under Dropbox so all HUD- and settings-changes would get synced.. I guess this could already be done with symlinks. Speaking of which, the notes could also be synced using symlinks if HEM would store them in a separate file instead of having them baked into the db (again I'm assuming this is the case).

Looking forward to suggestions!

I experimented a bit with symlinks and unfortunately I realized that syncing preferences isn't possible. For example HUD settings are located in the prefs.xml file but syncing that file wouldn't be wise because the two computers might have different import/archive paths for instance.

So making changes to your HUD is a bit troublesome as you have to do it either manually on both computers or copy the prefs.xml file and then change back the affected settings (like import folders).

I still haven't figured out how to sync notes.

Meh, maybe this should belong in the Suggestions forum?

Hey, that's my site!

The reason I use dropbox for the hand histories is because it is automatic and it is easy to change the archive folder location. I don't think that would be the case with the notes and HUD information. I have been thinking about doing something with SyncToy (its free too) to manage the other things besides the hand histories in HEM. It is a little different, it doesn't run automatically nor does it work over the internet. What it can do is sync files on your computer or over your local network. You could set it to synchronize your HEM folders over your local network. That way when you run it it would merge all the data in the two folders giving you a complete copy on both machines.

I haven't tried this yet but I might give it a go this weekend when I get home. Hopefully I can get it to work and get a writeup done soon.

Haha cool!

Syncing the preferences isn't difficult. If you're using Windows Vista or 7 you can use mklinks to create symbolic links:

1. move prefs.xml from hem\config to dropbox (and take a backup copy in case something goes wrong)

2. create a symbolic link (with admin command prompt): mklinks /h "c:\program files\rvg software\holdem manager\config\prefs.xml" "c:\path-to-dropbox\prefs.xml"

I did this with the whole Config folder but then realized I didn't want to sync all the settings, especially the import path settings, which have to be different to make the archive-sync work as you probably realize.

More about symlinks here: Using Symlinks in Windows Vista - How-To Geek

The HUD config unfortunately seems to be located in the same file as the import (and all other settings), prefs.xml, so you have to choose between syncing all or nothing. :/

I wonder if there's a way to keep a few lines of the file unsynced lol.

Hmm. Using Linux command line tools I could make a script that edited the freshly synced prefs.xml to suit the current computer, I think (hope) this could be done on Windows also. Then you could start HEM with this script and have the prefs.xml locally edited on every start. I'll have to look into this.

Let me know if you come to think of anything else!

edit: corrected mklinks syntax
    Last edited by dirtylobster; 11-17-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtylobster View Post
    Syncing the preferences isn't difficult. If you're using Windows Vista or 7 you can use mklinks to create symbolic links:

1. move prefs.xml from hem\config to dropbox (and take a backup copy in case something goes wrong)

2. create a symbolic link (with admin command prompt): mklinks /h "c:\program files\rvg software\holdem manager\config\prefs.xml" "c:\path-to-dropbox\prefs.xml"

I did this with the whole Config folder but then realized I didn't want to sync all the settings, especially the import path settings, which have to be different to make the archive-sync work as you probably realize.
    I'm such a donkey! I just realized the import settings aren't located in prefs.xml so you should be able to sync it without problems! I just tried it and it works great!

So, by first using longclaw's guide to set up archiving with Dropbox and then doing the two steps in the above quote you should have a fully working sync method for both hand histories and settings! Note: mklink is only for Vista and Windows 7.

The import folders plus most of the other settings are located in Config\HoldemManager.config which can't be identical on both computers if you're using longclaw's guide so unfortunately they can't be synced for this purpose.

Now if I only could figure out how to sync notes.

Man I wish I was home right now to try this. You can export your notes manually in HEM- options/notes/export notes. You can also import them- options/notes/import notes.

I am thinking if you can share the C:\Program Files (x86)\RVG Software folder across the network with read and write privileges then you would be able to export them and then point the other computer to the notes and import them to the other machine. I cannot test this theory because I only have one computer with me at this time but it should work.

The thought of all day every day manually importing/exporting doesn't really excite me. This could as well be done with Dropbox and symlinks (I couldn't use my local network anyways unless I setup a VPN).

1. keep the real ExportedNotes.HMNotes file in Dropbox
    2. create a symlink to it in RVG\Holdemmanager on both computers (mklink /h "path-to-hem\ExportedNotes.HMNotes" "path-to-dropbox\ExportedNotes.HMNotes")
    3. make a habit of always importing notes (from the holdemmanager-folder which links to dropbox) when you start holdemmanager and then export them when you close it (as you know export defaults to the holdemmanager-folder which when symlinked to the Dropbox-folder automatically syncs it to the other computers symlinked file in the holdemmanager-folder). phew.

This would be easy if you could export/import using the command line, like "holdemmanager --import-hands" and "holdemmanager --export-hands". In this case you could create a batch script:

Code:
    @echo off
    cd "c:\program files\rvg software\holdem manager"
    holdemmanager.exe --import-hands
    holdemmanager.exe
    holdemmanager.exe --export-hands
    This is off the top of my head and should work in theory but I doubt HEM has command line switches. Or you could just do it manually. I would like to see a better solution though.

Dropbox is giving you only 2GB free, if you want more space you need to pay for it.

If you have some server storage space (i.e. you own a website) like me you probably have plenty of spare space (I have 50GB on server and I use only 2GB of it). I am not looking forward to pay more money just for Dropbox in future - I'm playing seriously poker just for 3 months now (100-120h a month) and right now my hands are taking about 350MB (using syncing system on Dropbox), so probably within a year I will ran out of space.

Now if you have situation like me here is solution: GoodSync.
    It's an application to sync folders, but it's much more sophisticated then Dropbox.

I set it up to sync my folder on laptop with my ftp server and also my folder on desktop with ftp server.

It's just an alternative if someone looks for it, works great.

Best regards.
    Andy