pgAdmin error - server doesn't listen

Default pgAdmin error - server doesn't listen

I have searched the forum and FAQ. My situation is that I bought a new Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS. I previously used HEM on an old desktop. My db is backed up and I also exported the hand histories. Holdem Manager and Postgres are both installed on the laptop.

For some reason, PGadmin shows an existing PostgresSQL 8.3 and PostgresSQL Database Server 8.3. When I click on either one, I get a Server Doesn't Listen message that includes the following:

The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
    could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

If you encounter this message, please check if the server you're trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given port. Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the server host using ping or equivalent tools. Is your network / VPN / SSH tunnel / firewall configured correctly?
    For security reasons, PostgreSQL does not listen on all available IP addresses on the server machine initially. In order to access the server over the network, you need to enable listening on the address first.

For PostgreSQL servers starting with version 8.0, this is controlled using the "listen_addresses" parameter in the postgresql.conf file. Here, you can enter a list of IP addresses the server should listen on, or simply use '*' to listen on all available IP addresses. For earlier servers (Version 7.3 or 7.4), you'll need to set the "tcpip_socket" parameter to 'true'.

You can use the postgresql.conf editor that is built into pgAdmin III to edit the postgresql.conf configuration file. After changing this file, you need to restart the server process to make the setting effective.

If you double-checked your configuration but still get this error message, it's still unlikely that you encounter a fatal PostgreSQL misbehaviour. You probably have some low level network connectivity problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please check this thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL community.

I would appreciate any help from the forum community. In addition to this issue, Holdem Manager's DB Control Panel gives me an error when trying to connect: "A connection to Postgres SQL could not be made. Would you like Holdem Manager attempt to start the service." When I click Yes, and click connect, I get the same error message.

Thanks everybody.

-B

Please try this http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182

And if the problem persists try to start the PostgreSQL service as shown in this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afm....aspx?faqid=34 then after a while it will fail and give an error please copy and paste this error and then go to Control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Log > Application error and look near the top for an red error sign, click on this and view the details of the error and post it here
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

The HOSTS file already had 127.0.0.1 localhost as well as ::1 localhost

Error message resulted when trying to Start postgres:

Error 1503: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Next, after following the instructions in the FAQ, this is the error description from log:

postgres cannot access the server configuration file "C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

I appreciate your time and input.

- B
    Last edited by Blantons; 06-09-2009 at 06:37 PM.

Looks like a file is missing thats needed to start the database, have you a large database?

Basically you could try reinstalling which might work http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afm...aspx?faqid=177

If not uninstall PostgreSQL via the control panel > programs and features and then go to C:/Program Files and rename the PostgreSQL folder to something like PostgreSQLold then do a fresh install http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afm...aspx?faqid=176 and import your archived hand histories (hopefully youve been archiving, files should be in C:/HMarchive or a folder you specified when setting up if you did)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Thanks for the help Morny. You are generous with your help and very knowledgeable. I reinstalled Postgres, and created a new db. I had previously exported the hands so I'm good to go.