last update 7223 mess up my PC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default last update 7223 mess up my PC

I have a very big database, and HM&PostgreSQL stored in another partition then C: because On C: I have like 15GB free only.

all good so far but with this last update HM started to fill up my C: partition even if I don`t have anything from HM2 installed there and left only like 200MB free and not even 1/4 of the database was ready to import.

now all I want is to delete all backup notes and all, and reinstall HM2 again, but my biggest issue is to free up again the widows partition like before the updete and I don`t know how to do this. please help

The database update, unfortunately always uses a TEMP folder on C:/
    I already wrote a bug report on this, users should also be able to change the location of this TEMP folder.

To get your 15 GB diskspace back, delete the content of:
    C:/Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/HoldemManager/Importing/Work Folder/
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

when I found out that I had no free space left on C: I did close HM2 with Ctrl-Alt-Del, but how do I resume the import of the database or whatever he was doing after I did the last update? I just want my database back.

also, if I delete the content of the Temp folder any data will be lost?

No you can always just delete the content of that temp folder.

The database update: will create a new database, reimport your hands (from the old database) into the new database.
    With CTRL-ALT-DEL you aborted the database update, so I can't say if the update was finished successfully.

Ideally, just manually create a new database, and reimport all your hands.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

ok, I can import manualy most of my hands, but how can I recover all my notes?

In the old database go to--> Home tab--> Database--> Backup---> only backup the notes

Then Database--> Restore them in the new database.

I did try this but it doesn`t work, in order to keep the notes on the new database, I first have to backup the notes with the hands to.

If I only restore the database with the notes and manually import the hands, the notes doest attach to the players :\

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    The database update, unfortunately always uses a TEMP folder on C:/
    I already wrote a bug report on this, users should also be able to change the location of this TEMP folder.

To get your 15 GB diskspace back, delete the content of:
    C:/Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/HoldemManager/Importing/Work Folder/
    Just to get on my soapbox again and beat the dead horse that is software design, these types of bugs make me cringe. This is a recurring pattern I've complained about for years with HM development where fundamental coding practices are not followed. It reminds me of the days when HM installers hardcoded C:\Program Files as the install folder, and put those of us like me who never install anything to C: drive (much less Program Files) on life tilt. Or assumed the PostgreSQL binaries were always installed to C:\Program FIles and refused to run them from anywhere else, when you could simply check the registry for the correct Postgres install path.

You should *never* assume hardcoded file paths. Every modern OS has a system call or mechanism to determine a proper temporary file path. It's not even necessary to add an option to HM to support user-defined temp paths -- on Windows simply lookup the TEMP environment variable or use the GetTempPath() Win32 API call. This way the user only has to set/modify his TEMP environment variable to whatever he wants. The user's Windows profile folder should only be used to persist user-specific configuration data, which happens to be relatively small in size. Application-wide data, and certainly temp files or any other large amount of generated data, should be located with the application path or in an appropriate system location (like the TEMP path).
    Last edited by Veteran68; 08-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.

@marius: you have to import the hands first... then the notes.
    A note can't attach to a player if the player doesn't exist yet in the database.

@Veteran68: You're right, and you make a good point HoldemManager should just use the 'default' Windows temp folder instead.
    Since you can easily change the TEMP folder location @ environment variables.
    I also moved my TEMP folder to a different partition. I'll add this to the bug ticket. HM-5377

@Patvs regarding the notes it is not working either way, you can try for yourself.

Anyway I give up on that, I now have another problem, for like 3 days I try to delete older hands from my database and make it as small as possible and after that to make a backup and restore and hopefully it will be ok .

Now for some reason HM2 with purge function on a very big database it doesn`t delete all the hands on a big period of time like a month+ it just skips allot of hands for some reason , so I try to delete them like for every month separately and my computer is working non-stop an I don`t know whay my wife did on my PC because my C: partition is close to full again!!!

At first I thought that she click the message to update the database but now I don`t know because HM2 didn`t create a new database, I only have one, and I look up on C:/Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/HoldemManager/Importing/Work Folder/ and it is empty.

Somehow HM2 it created in a few hours a temp. folder somewhere on C: that I can`t find, please help me asp!!!

LE: I solve the problem with the notes, I only had to restore the Notes to work dooh, but I will still need help getting back the free space in C:
    Last edited by marius; 08-20-2012 at 05:09 AM.