HM2 purge process performance

Default HM2 purge process performance

Hi people,

Wanted to check with you regarding the performance of HM2 inbuilt purge process. And I hope it's me missing something very basic and not poor expertise of HM2 developers.

Setup:
    • HM2: latest version under admin account
    • DB size: ~40 GB
    • CPU: Ryzen7 with 16 logical cores - all available for HM2
    • RAM: 16 GB - ~10GB available
    • HDD: 2xSSD in RAID0 with write speed > 800 MB/s - ~100GB available
    • NoteCaddy is OFF
    • Postgre 8.4 (the one installed along with HM2) is setup locally with settings by default. If i put performance setting described in http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ance-tips.html, Postgre is crashing on this DB.
    • The DB was vacuumed and optimized both by using HM2 functionality and pgAdmin (which compacts DB much better)

Issue:
    I'm trying to purge a good chunk (~70%) of this DB and after 8hrs it passed some 30-40% only. The CPU consumption less than 20% on all the core, the HDD consumption is close to 0 (few MB/s). RAM consumption is ~400 MB.

As an old DB developer, I expect moderate CPU consumption and very high HDD usage due to massive SQL delete operation + removal of the local files. It does not happen, HW consumption is close to 0, the HM2 is not hanging though, the process is going on but very slow.

As a work-around I could have created a new DB and imported what I need only. However, in this case, I would lose all the notes and tags attached to the opponents. Also, I would like to avoid messing up with the DB by transferring the tables containing the notes, even though it should not be a rocket science. Therefore, I prefer using inbuilt functionality if possible.

Any suggestions?

If you purge that much, it's better just to create a new, smaller database that has only hands you are currently using.

Try creating a new DataBase and import a small portion of your \HM2Archive so you can see if the problem exists in the new DB - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How to create a new database and import previously played hands

If you continue to have problems, please duplicate the issue and send us log files with a detailed description of what you were doing and what problems you were experiencing:
    - Open Windows Event Viewer's (Control Panel - System & Security - Administrative Tools or Start - Search - 'Event Viewer') - Windows Logs - Applications.
    - Check for any errors and send the information (Save All Events As...).
    - Please send your \HM2Logs folder files as well - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: How Do I Send a Log File to Holdem Manager Support?

When sending any files please zip them (right-click - send to - compressed folder) before attaching them to an email. If the attachment is larger than 10MB please upload them to a file hosting site like dropbox, then right-click - 'copy dropbox link' and paste the download link directly into the support ticket email. If you have any problems with dropbox try using filedropper.com
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Update: the process completed after around 20 hrs. HW was hardly loaded along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by udbrky View Post
    If you purge that much, it's better just to create a new, smaller database that has only hands you are currently using.
    I thought I already explained what are the cons of this solution. And I consider them as major.

You can backup everything but the hands and restore all of that in the new database after importing just the hands you want.

You can keep the full database for records, and just play in the smaller database.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Yes, that's a valid workaround if the performance of purge process cannot be improved.
    Apart from the fact, that import of such DB would also take few days at speed of 150-200 h/sec.