Sorry, could not install PostgreSQL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sorry, could not install PostgreSQL

Hello, I have a problem. I can't install PostgreSQL (and so HEM2). The HEM.exe is supposed to install PostgreSQL first and then HEM2, but at the end of the 1st step it says to me "Sorry, could not install PostgreSQL" and the installation is stopped for ever. I tried to install PostgreSQL by downloading the .exe on the official website but even with this it doesn't want to install PostgreSQL and says "Failure during the load of modules sql in the cluster of database" (I don't know if the translation is perfect, I'm French so the message is in French and I'm not a beast in english haha). Then there is an other message that says "A problem arose during the execution of the stage of post-installation. The installation can have failed. Error of reading of the file C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/9.6/data/postgresql.conf"
    I've done all french forums and I've found nothing that helps me so I come here. Thank you and sorry for my english.

Make sure you perform these actions on that main folder:

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Set Correct Permissions on files and folders HM2 use

Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using? Many of those free Norton, Mcaffee, Comodo, Zonealarm, Avira, Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, etc, 'internet security' bundles can cause communication issues between Holdem Manager and PostgreSQL.

Please do the following steps, so we can get your computer to a state that we know will work with Holdem Manager and we can rule out it being a security software issue:

1) Uninstall any 3rd party security software bundles completely. Disabling them never fully disables them and they will continue to prevent communication in the background.
    2) Reboot your computer
    3) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender, and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems
    4) Enable Windows Firewall's recommended settings through your Control Panel, turn off Windows Defender (unless you are using Windows 10, in which case it should be enabled), and add firewall exceptions for HM and SQL - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall)
    5) Install Microsoft Security Essentials (unless you are using Windows 10) for antivirus/malware protection and update it - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210

Please see the following guides for postgres related issues if you have further issues after installing.

When installing, you may encounter an error referring to the database initialization. If so follow this part of the FAQ below:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

For other security software see here:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Software Security Problems (Firewall)
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Thank you for your answer

I ll answer point by point :

1) I don't have any security software except windows firewall
    2)
    3) I've already disable the firewall
    4) Same as 3)
    5) It doesn't want to install it and says that I don't have to install it because my Windows version includes Windows Defender that gives me the same protection level than Microsoft Security Essentials, see : https://snag.gy/ECjo7b.jpg

I searched a lot and I already did all things that concern security software problems. I really think it's an other thing

Did you install it as administrator?

Uninstall PostgreSQL & try the following steps:

1) Run cmd.exe as Admin (Start > Search 'cmd' > Right-Click > Run As Admin)
    2) in CMD window run (type the code then hit Enter key) following command:
    net user postgres /del
    3) Reboot PC
    4) after reboot open cmd.exe again & run following commands:
    Code:
    net user postgres postgrespass /add
     net localgroup Administrators postgres /add
     net localgroup Users postgres /delete
     runas /user:postgres cmd.exe
    When it asks about password please input postgrespass & don`t worry if you don`t see any new symbols\inputs in cmd window. If you did all steps right then you should get new cmd window for postgres user.

5) Download PostgreSQL installer (http://get.enterprisedb.com/postgres...-1-windows.exe) & move (copy/paste) it from the \Downloads folder to C:\
    6) in new cmd window for postgres user run following commands:
    cd c:\
    start postgresql-8.4.22-1-windows.exe
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I did all steps :

1) No problem
    2) It works
    3)
    4) Here I have a problem
    "net user postgres postgrespass /add" works succefully
    "net localgroup Administrators postgres /add" DOESN'T works succefully, it says system error 1376 because local group specified doesn't exists
    "net localgroup Users postgres /delete" Same problem and same message
    "runas /userostgres cmd.exe" works succefully

I put the password, a new cmd windows appears
    5) Ok
    6) It works and the installer begins but at the end of installation same problem than before "A problem arose during the execution of the stage of post-installation. The installation can have failed. Error of reading of the file C:/Program Files (x86)/PostgreSQL/9.6/data/postgresql.conf"

I think it's because of the two commands that fail at 4th step

PostgreSQL Whisperer

please run following command in cmd and post screenshot with results here:
    net localgroup

This is the screenshot : https://snag.gy/10SGgC.jpg

PostgreSQL Whisperer

So for your Windows locale you should change Administrators to Administrateurs and Users to Utilisateurs in that failed commands and do rest of them (commands).

IT WORKS !! I love both of you, thank you <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

You are very welcome. Thank you for letting us know it solved your problems. It helps us when crafting future replies to other customers with similar problems.

Good luck at the tables. If you have any further questions or problems do not hesitate to ask us.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)