Problem with PostgreSQL server
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Problem with PostgreSQL server

I'm using the HM2 since 2013, it worked fine with windows 7, but since I updated to windows 10 the problems started. I've tried every step of the following FAQ, so please don't come with a robotic answer asking me to do the FAQ again without even read everything I wrote. Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

What happens? From time to time (sometimes it happens within 3 hours of use, others in 8-9 hours), the HM2 stucks and don't work anymore. When relaunching it says the HM2 can't connect to the PostgreSQL database server. And this is the error I get.relaunching.jpg
    In this screen I've tried the following, resetting the password and using another port but both didn't work. When I reboot my computer the HM2 works fine again until the next couple hours and then I go through this again and again.
    I'm currently using Windows Defender and have already put the processes that have something to do with HM2 in the exclusions (eg pg_ctl.exe, postgres.exe, holdemmanager.exe and some more). I've already allowed the same processes in the firewall, and I've already unticked that Read only box from all these files and changed the permission settings of all these files. Tried to stop/start the postgreSQL service but it also didn't work. After all these tries, I decided to uninstall postgresql and HM2 and reinstall other versions of SQL (8.4, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4). All unsuccessful attempts.
    But today I monitored the postgres.exe processes and it was running, hm2 working and while grinding the problem occurs again. I checked the task manager and there it is, one of the postgres.exe with a suspended status.postgresql server.png
    Pretty sure it has something to do with my problem, but have no clue what can be causing it or how to solve. As I haven't found any problem exactly the same as mine and I can't stand rebooting my computer 2-3 times per day/session I decided to post for help. Hope someone can help me with this without having to reinstall windows.

Uninstall PostgreSQL & try the following steps:

1) Run cmd.exe as Admin (Start > Search 'cmd' > Right-Click > Run As Admin)
    2) in CMD window run (type the code then hit Enter key) following command:
    net user postgres /del
    3) Reboot PC
    4) after reboot open cmd.exe again & run following commands:
    net user postgres postgrespass /add
    net localgroup Administrators postgres /add
    net localgroup Users postgres /delete
    runas /userostgres cmd.exe

When it asks about password please input postgrespass & don`t worry if you don`t see any new symbols\inputs in cmd window. If you did all steps right then you should get new cmd window for postgres user.

5) Download PostgreSQL installer (http://get.enterprisedb.com/postgres...-1-windows.exe) & move (copy/paste) it from the \Downloads folder to C:\
    6) in new cmd window for postgres user run following commands:
    cd c:\
    start postgresql-8.4.22-1-windows.exe
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Did exactly as you told but in ~1 hour of use postgres.exe was suspended and HM2 not working anymore

It stops in the middle of using HM2?

What are your antivirus and firewall?

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue and the following guide gives a step by step guide:
    Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Can not Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

It usually stops in the middle of use, but it don't have a pattern. Sometimes even without using the HM2, when I try to launch it that process was already with a suspended status and can't connect to postgresql.
    I'm using windows defender and windows firewall. Already put the processes I found in another FAQ in the exceptions and allowed them through the firewall.
    About the FAQ you've send, I've done this one at least 3 times and still getting the same problem.
    And btw, yesterday after installing the sql 8.4 in ~1 hour it stopped working but after I reboot my computer it broke the record and worked for 10+ hours and stopped again just when I started playing today.
    Last edited by baza; 08-28-2016 at 11:35 AM.

I had POSTgreSQL server issues this morning.....

I followed the above advice and it didn't work ......until i realised I was not running the CMD window as administrator.

My main problem was not being able to reinstall POSTgreSQL after uninstalling it as it kept saying that the windows service already existed.
    So I googled how to delete a windows service and have now removed the service and it has allowed me to reinstall POSTgreSQL.

Fingers crossed as HM2 is now running again and syncing from the cloud.
    I also submitted a new thread about this (yet to appear in the forums) but obviously not required as long as HM2 works fully after it has finished syncing.

Quote Originally Posted by baza View Post
    It usually stops in the middle of use, but it don't have a pattern. Sometimes even without using the HM2, when I try to launch it that process was already with a suspended status and can't connect to postgresql.
    I'm using windows defender and windows firewall. Already put the processes I found in another FAQ in the exceptions and allowed them through the firewall.
    About the FAQ you've send, I've done this one at least 3 times and still getting the same problem.
    And btw, yesterday after installing the sql 8.4 in ~1 hour it stopped working but after I reboot my computer it broke the record and worked for 10+ hours and stopped again just when I started playing today.
    Did you delete the postmaster.pid file? Did you reset the winsock adapter?
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Already did both things a lot of times.
    Found a temporary solution, since windows don't let me terminate the postgres.exe process that is suspended, I found a software that allows me to kill the process. Then restarting the HM2 it works again for another couple hours. It is kinda weird because when I tried to manually stop/start the sql service it didn't work. It seems like that the service didn't even stop while killing this process. At least now I don't have to reboot my computer every time it happens.
    Last edited by baza; 08-30-2016 at 08:00 AM.

I have escalated your issue to our 2nd level support techs and they will respond to your email as soon as possible.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

PostgreSQL Whisperer

Please run cmd.exe as admin and do following command:

net user postgres postgrespass

Then restart PC.