Can I get back my settings after a Windows 8.1 refresh

Default Can I get back my settings after a Windows 8.1 refresh

I was ironically backing up my hard drive when my Windows 8.1 (or hard drive) totally stopped working. None of my HM settings got backed up or my custom NoteCaddy notes. So I did a Windows 8.1 refresh (which claims to reinstall Windows without affecting your data) but my HM2 settings are gone (mainly I would like my HUD back) and would love to have my custom NoteCaddy notes back as well as I spent a lot of time making them. I'm guessing when Windows 8.1 claims to retain your data during a refresh it is only talking about things in your home folder. As things in the AppData folder seem to be gone.

Anyway, might my HM2 settings, HUD and NoteCaddy notes still exist somewhere on my hard drive so that I can get them back? Thanks.

PS - also my PokerStars player color codings if possible.
    Last edited by sl4v3; 06-05-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Do you have a \windows.old folder on your C:\ drive? If so, they would be in there.

Your HUD(s) would be in the C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\Co nfig\prefs.xml file. If your Windows is hiding known file extensions the file will simply be called 'prefs'. If you can't see it, turn off the windows option that is hiding that directory. http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...es+in+Windows+

NC defs would be in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\No teCaddyDefinitions

I have no idea where stars stores their color codes so you would probably have to ask them for the location of that file.

There is indeed a Windows.old folder but the only folder in C:\Windows.old\Users\Gerry\AppData\Roaming is a Microsoft folder. No HoldemManager or NoteCaddy :-(

There likely isn't anything you can do other than search the computer for those files/folders. An example NC def file would be PlayStraightDrawsAggressively.xml or PLO.vsHero_Foldto4Bet.n2d

Is there a \HM2Archive folder in it? That would at least have your original hand history files. If not, and you play a site like stars/ftp/party you can email their support and ask for all your old hand histories and tourney histories/results.

This is why regular backups are a good idea. If your database becomes corrupt you can restore a backup and only have to import the most recent hands (that were played after the backup was created) and edit any tournament results if necessary.

Here is a FAQ explaining how to backup your database and all settings in one easy step - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...onfigs+work%3F

I recommend keeping the backup files and your \HM2Archive folder on a cloud storage like dropbox in addition to regular backups to an external drive.