Getting a new laptop, few questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Getting a new laptop, few questions

Hi,

As title says in a few days (probably Sunday) I am getting a new laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. Since this is not an update I can't use the sticky (yes I saw it).

Currently I am using a Windows 7 laptop and my HM2 version is 2.0.0.7932 (this is on purpose since I had major issues with updates and this version works and is stable). This laptop will be wiped and no longer have HM2 etc. so no double license.

I don't have any experience with Win 8 but had no choice but to take it with the computer since Win 7 for some reason doesn't work properly on it (driver issues with graphic card if I understood correctly). Win 8 is legal etc.

I backed up my database and settings, namely Config, Filters and Reports folders, some filters and custom HUDs.

Current machine had some problems with Microsoft NET.Framework etc. so your support guy installed a newer version etc. and then my license somehow got screwed up and hilarity ensued. I have no idea what is installed on the new laptop, if anything and I would rather not have a repeat of the whole painful process.

Questions:
    1) Win 8 - Are there any known problems with it and if yes any workarounds? I want to set this up ASAP.
    2) I suppose I need to reset the license keys for the new machine, correct?
    3) Since all backups I made are with 7932 version, will they work with newer ones?
    4) In case of trouble with the newest HM2 version, can I get the 7932 install file?

1. There are some issues with Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 to get full administrator privileges, go over: Here is a guide to help with issues with Windows 8 and HM.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ade-guide.html

2. Your license allows you to install HM2 on two computers.
    So you could opt to leave HM2 on your old laptop.
    (old laptop = 1, new computer = 2).

If you plan to NOT use HM2 anymore of the old computer, reset your license:

Please go to Hold'em Manager Poker Software - Best Poker Tracking Software and signup with a new login name and password or use your existing account. After that, simply navigate to "Upload License Code" and you can quickly add your serial code and reset it whenever you need to.

3. In theory.... yes.
    Ideally, create the backup with the latest HM2 build--> then restore to the same build.
    If you still have a 7932 file, maybe also install that to the new PC, when you restore the backup.

4. 7932: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloa...AutoUpdate.exe
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

OK here is what happened:

1) I received a new laptop and installed a few necessary applications (Firefox, Office, few others) + PokerStars and Full Tilt
    2) Then I tried to install HM2. Installation got messed up while installing NET framework and I had to restart the computer. Computer couldn't restart and offered me to do a recovery, which I did.
    3) Recovery wiped all applications and wiped my Win 8 license data.
    4) After this I decided to try installing HM2 first and succeeded but now HM2 won't open.

Any chance someone can remotely connect to my computer and try to solve this? I am really not at home with Win 8... (I have Win 8.1).

Is PostgreSQL running?

If HM2 won't start, please sent your full log.txt file, located in the following folder to hm2support@holdemmanager.com:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

There are postgres processes working in Task manager.

This is the text under "details" after HM2 fails to open:

"Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX64
    Application Name: HoldemManager.exe
    Application Version: 2.0.0.7995
    Application Timestamp: 530106e7
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_c6d7
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: PCH_73_FROM_ntdll+0x0000000000096B2A
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 0000000000000008
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.4
    Locale ID: 1050
    Additional Information 1: c6d7
    Additional Information 2: c6d7177f18e00ff82ab902718d1239fd
    Additional Information 3: a606
    Additional Information 4: a60670150ecc349905d2dd9a433983ea"

Log file attached below.

log.txt
    Last edited by lorddreyfuss; 03-10-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Please reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework -
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...p+Instructions

Afterwards, please make sure that you update windows completely. Keep checking to make sure that there are no more updates, until it shows twice, five minutes apart that there are no more updates available.

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...olders+HM2+use

If there is still an issue, you should check into memtest.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

I am away from home right now so I can't do anything until at best Saturday but I definitely can on Monday.

I installed fresh .NET framework from the get go (new laptop) so I am not sure a reinstall will do much here but I guess it can't hurt to try.

OK I have managed to start HM2 but my backups don't work.

AutoUpdate to version 7932 and restoring the folders doesn't work at all, presumably because something has changed in the new installs.

A bigger issue is that now postgres is incredibly HD use heavy and is slowing the computer to a crawl (I seriously don't know what is it using the hard drive for so much even when idle).

Now I have completely removed HM2 from my computer.

Summary:
    1) I need to fix the postgres issue, it is raping my hard drive and completely freezing the computer.
    2) I need a way to install 7932 version so I can use my settings etc.; installing via "Download trial" and then updating doesn't work and neither does trying to just put old folders into the fresh new install. I could let this go if I must (at least my custom HUD seems to work and it is the most important part) but No. 1 is critical.

Clipboard01.jpg

Seriously, what the fucking fuck is it doing with all this HD usage (keeping it at 100%)? This is a completely idle computer.
    Last edited by lorddreyfuss; 03-17-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Any ideas on how to fix this process? There is no logical need for it to do so much reading and especially writing on the hard drive. I can't find anything via Google (all posts are old/outdated).

Edit: I made a new empty database with a fresh install of HM2 and nothing changes. Setting priority of the process to low stops it from writing but it still reads something from the hard drive at 100% usage. This remains even after I close down HM2 so my only option is to restart the computer.
    Last edited by lorddreyfuss; 03-18-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Any feedback would be nice. As it is I can't play at all if HM2 is open.