Postgres installation fail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Postgres installation fail

Hi

A fellow of pokerstrategy.fr recieves this message after the installation of HM2:

Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL
    top level install dir -->C:
    Is admin account
    fs=NTFS
    .NET found
    Extract: TestFirewall.exe... 100%
    Extract: TestFirewall.exe.config... 100%
    Antivirus Installed: False
    test antivirus returned 0
    seclogon error status: 0
    seclogon status: 4
    firewall enabled: 1
    firewall port 5432 enabled: 1
    port 5432 already enabled
    postgresql error status: 1060
    postgresql status: 0
    starting pgsql-8.3
    starting postgresql-8.4
    postgres installdir: C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL
    ==================== running PsqlTestClient
    try userid: postgres
    try pass: postgrespass
    Connection to database failed: -->could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
    Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
    <--error
    testclient return status: 1
    testclient return from file: 1
    ==================== finished PsqlTestClient
    no existing install dir
    wrote testfile
    Delete file: C:\testfile
    Create folder: c:\postgreSQL
    Execute: "C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL\postgres84.exe" --mode unattended --superpassword postgrespass --prefix c:\postgreSQL --datadir c:\postgreSQL\data
    postgres installdir: C:\Program Files (x86)\PSQLINSTALL
    ==================== running PsqlTestClient
    try userid: postgres
    Connection to database failed: -->could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
    Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting
    TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
    <--error
    testclient return status: 1
    testclient return from file: 1
    ==================== finished PsqlTestClient

Wghat can he do?

Thanks for your answer and regards

- Please see these steps to fix postgresql installation issues:

- Please update windows fully. Please keep checking until it shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.

If you have Win7 or 8 (or Vista), consider the following:
    1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
    2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And it must have admin rights. After installation you can delete this new user.

3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
    This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
    4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life )
    5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
    6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
    7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB
    8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
    9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
    10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
    Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
    net user postgres /del
    exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
    11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

- Please update your network adapter. Open device manager and find the model #. Search google for the model # drivers to download.

- Please run the windows repair on your winsock:

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

If you are using Mcafee, Norton, Comodo or AVG for security, they have been causing a lot of issues with postgres lately. We recommend using a different program, such as Microsoft's firewall and Microsoft Security Essential. If you do feel that you need Comodo or AVG, uninstall first, install postgres, then reinstall after it is working. See this guide for Windows Firewall:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ender+Problems

Download from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB - do not use 9.1, 9.2 or 9.3.

Right click the setup file, click properties. Click the unblock button at the bottom.

Empty the c:\temp and/or c:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folders.

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    - Please see these steps to fix postgresql installation issues:

- Please update windows fully. Please keep checking until it shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.

If you have Win7 or 8 (or Vista), consider the following:
    1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
    2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And it must have admin rights. After installation you can delete this new user.

3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
    This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
    4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life )
    5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
    6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
    7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB
    8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
    9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
    10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
    Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
    net user postgres /del
    exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
    11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

- Please update your network adapter. Open device manager and find the model #. Search google for the model # drivers to download.

- Please run the windows repair on your winsock:

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

If you are using Mcafee, Norton, Comodo or AVG for security, they have been causing a lot of issues with postgres lately. We recommend using a different program, such as Microsoft's firewall and Microsoft Security Essential. If you do feel that you need Comodo or AVG, uninstall first, install postgres, then reinstall after it is working. See this guide for Windows Firewall:

Download from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB - do not use 9.1, 9.2 or 9.3.

Right click the setup file, click properties. Click the unblock button at the bottom.

Empty the c:\temp and/or c:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folders.

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file.

Thank you for all those advices. I think I followed correctly all of them but I still get an error when installing PostgreSQL. It's in French (I'm French so makes sense... lol).

Apparently there's a problem when reading this file "C:/PostgreSQL/data/postgresql.conf"...

What can I do ? I don't have any log on the .bitrock folder

Where could the problem come from ?
    Last edited by Shaytan17; 02-09-2014 at 04:36 PM.

It is probably a permissions issue if it can't access/read that file. You need to make sure that the \postgresql folder is NOT read only.

Please see this FAQ to alleviate any security bottlenecks:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...olders+HM2+use

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    It is probably a permissions issue if it can't access/read that file. You need to make sure that the \postgresql folder is NOT read only.

It was effectively in read mode only. What would be the logic now ? If I uninstall Postgre and reinstall, it will recreate the same folder with this read mode only configuration, but at the same time, I can't reinstall it just by executing the .exe downloaded on the site.

I tried to reinstall Postgre with the 32Bit version but still the same problem, can't access the postgresql.conf, the folder has been created only with the read mode...

What do I have to do when removing the read mode to get full control of the folder ?

Any solution ?

Did you change the folder permissions so that it has full control for Everyone, Postgres, your user, and all users listed? Creator/owner does not change in Windows.

For more Postgres issues:

Please see the following guides for postgres related issues.

For issues with postgres:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...+#wont-install

To change your folder permissions:

For help with Windows Firewall:

Other security software:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...%28Firewall%29
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Thank you for your reply, but you're giving approximately the same answer as Fozzy71, just less detailed. Of course, I did change the permissions of the folder but I don't see what's the point to do so after postgre being "installed". The installation fails because of that when it creates the folder...

Ok I succeeded. I created a new admin user for windows and the installation did function. I don't know why but now it's okay.