HM2 + NCA disc space issue

Default HM2 + NCA disc space issue

I have a large database with lots of NCA definitions that I'm trying to run on my SSD but it's simply taking up too much space. The only solution I can think of is to just put it on my standard hard drive and deal with it being slower but is there anything else I can do? I do have a lot of hands, some of them quite old, is there an easy way to just filter it out so it saves all of my hands but then only saves datamined hands from the past couple months? Or could I somehow make a new database to run on my SSD but still have the older hands show up on my HUD? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I know very little about computers. Any advice is much appreciated and thanks for reading!

Edit: I should add that I've done all of the database maintenance and optimization stuff I've found by searching this forum, so that's not the issue; the DB is simply too large.
    Last edited by TimM846; 07-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Deleting old (datamined) hands, saving all recent datamined hands: Home tab--> Database--> Purge---> Save Hands Played By (select yourself)--> and add a Date Range.

Diskspace issue:
    1 million hands (without notes)=
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

If you have NCA definitions, it will use an absurd amount of extra diskspace... but... you should get 90% of this diskspace back if you manually vacuum/reindex the database in pgadminIII.

Unfortunately, if you have a -for example- 100 GB database. You also need approximately 100 GB of free disk space to perform the vacuum/reindex. Afterwards you're left with only a 20-30 GB database.

To move the database to your regular HDD, read: http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...e+or+Partition
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Hi, when you purge hands, will the data created by my NCA def also be deleted from those hands?

Quote Originally Posted by Lievaai View Post
    Hi, when you purge hands, will the data created by my NCA def also be deleted from those hands?
    I don't believe so. To completely get rid of it you would need to reset your notecaddy notes after the purge and run the note creation process again now that the hands have been purged from the database.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    I don't believe so. To completely get rid of it you would need to reset your notecaddy notes after the purge and run the note creation process again now that the hands have been purged from the database.
    Thanks!

I don't really want to get rid of the NC notes on those hands, I just want to free up some space on my ssd...

1) Please close HM

2) Please open PGAdminIII

It is in the Start -> Postgres folder.

3) Enter your postgres password. The default password is typically postgrespass.

4) Open the databases.

5) Highlight your database.

6) Right click, click maintenance.

7) Run the vacuum and analyze and reindex functions.

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...lyze+Database+

Out of HM1, HM2, PT3, HM2 has by far the smallest DB's.

Some SSD's now use compression automatically. The Truth About SSDs and Compression

You can also use NTFS compression on the DB folder in roaming and the postgres\data\base folder to make it smaller:

Best practices for NTFS compression in Windows

You can put your postgres data folder and the HM2 database parent folder on a different drive.

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, many of which are yet to come. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to C: file space or something like that, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere

General rule is 1 million hands = 10 GB.

In reality it's: 1 million hands
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

So with a 10 million hand database you need as SSD of at least 60 GB (Windows) + 100 GB = 160 GB.
    We use 1 million = 10 GB (instead of 6.8) because when you want to perform a vacuum/analyse or backup/restore a database it will require a LOT of disk space to perform such a task.

You can also run tree size free to locate wastes of space:

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

Please see this guide to optimize your SSD:

Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? - Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage

Here is another guide:

Super-Fast SSDs: Four Rules for How To Treat Them Right « IT Expert Voice
    Regards udbrky (Chris)