HM2 folder size

Thread: HM2 folder size

Default HM2 folder size

My HM2 folder is getting out of control. It's all coming from the folder "Players".

FYshlCj.png

Is there anything I can do about that? Can I just move it?

Please see this FAQ to move your DB to another drive.

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...e+or+Partition

Out of HM1, HM2, PT3, HM2 has by far the smallest DB's.

Some SSD's now use compression automatically. The Truth About SSDs and Compression

You can also use NTFS compression on the DB folder in roaming and the postgres\data\base folder to make it smaller:

Best practices for NTFS compression in Windows

You can put your postgres data folder and the HM2 database parent folder on a different drive.

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, many of which are yet to come. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to C: file space or something like that, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere

General rule is 1 million hands = 10 GB.

In reality it's: 1 million hands
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

So with a 10 million hand database you need as SSD of at least 60 GB (Windows) + 100 GB = 160 GB.
    We use 1 million = 10 GB (instead of 6.8) because when you want to perform a vacuum/analyse or backup/restore a database it will require a LOT of disk space to perform such a task.

You can also run tree size free to locate wastes of space:

TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs

Please see this guide to optimize your SSD:

Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? : Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage

Here is another guide:

Super-Fast SSDs: Four Rules for How To Treat Them Right « IT Expert Voice
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Sorry for not being more clear.

This is not my database. My database is in the postgres\data folder. This is my HM folder.

Why is my HM folder so large? Can I just delete the stored info in \Player?

A HM2 database stores data in two folders.
    60% in the PostgreSQL database
    40% in the C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database\ folder

You can't delete that folder.
    Do check if you still have old databases in that folder, and delete those folders.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    A HM2 database stores data in two folders.
    60% in the PostgreSQL database
    40% in the C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\D atabase\ folder

You can't delete that folder.
    Do check if you still have old databases in that folder, and delete those folders.
    Not true for me, that one is completely empty
    PfDq8IF.png

All my HM is on a 256gb ssd which is now full.
    200gb in postures and 40gb in the folder I described in OP.

The question is still what kind of data is in this HM\Players folder that takes up 40gb? I checked the files its a few KB per player name filled with a lot of numbers.

The HM/Players folder:

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

The default folder for this is: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database\ , but when you create a new database, you can choose a different location for this, so you at some point selected the HM\Players folder for this.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    The default folder for this is: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database\ , but when you create a new database, you can choose a different location for this, so you at some point selected the HM\Players folder for this.
    The reason I'm writing in this old thread is it's easier, because I have almost the same problem.

But what I would like to know is how to move this folder to another drive without clearing my database, reinstalling anything.
    My postgreSQL data folder is already on a different drive, I managed to do that, but how could I move this to that drive, and give the new location to my HM2 database, so it knows where to find it?

Thanks

Please see this FAQ to move your DB to another drive.

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...e+or+Partition
    Regards udbrky (Chris)