Database Backup Problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Database Backup Problems

Hi All

I'm trying to back up my 42GB database as I have to wipe my SSD and do a fresh windows install.
    Each time I try to back up it says "backup complete" but shows empty folder in the external HDD.
    Any suggestions ??

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

Please uninstall HM2 and reinstall the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...er_2_Setup.exe

Make sure you are running HM2 as an administrator
    1) Go to C:\Program Files\Holdem Manager 2 (Program Files (x86) for the 64bit version)
    2) Right click the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
    3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator".
    4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for HudFuncsApp.exe

Add exceptions for HM2, PostgreSQL, and any other programs you use for poker to your firewall and anti-virus exceptions lists.
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...%28Firewall%29

Turn off User Account Control: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...windows-7/]How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 My Digital Life

Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates.
    --
    You need to make sure that this folder

Windows 7/8/Vista: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\
    Showing hidden files and sytem files and folders: Show hidden files

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager
    Showing hidden files and sytem files and folders: Microsoft Corporation

is not read only and that all permissions are set to full for your user name. The folder will continue showing read only after that, this is an issue in Windows.
    --
    If the problem continues, please send your log files to hm2support@holdemmanager.com with a link to this thread. -
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

Please uninstall HM2 and reinstall the latest version: http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...er_2_Setup.exe

Make sure you are running HM2 as an administrator
    1) Go to C:\Program Files\Holdem Manager 2 (Program Files (x86) for the 64bit version)
    2) Right click the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
    3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator".
    4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for HudFuncsApp.exe

Add exceptions for HM2, PostgreSQL, and any other programs you use for poker to your firewall and anti-virus exceptions lists.
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...%28Firewall%29

Turn off User Account Control: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...windows-7/]How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 My Digital Life

Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates.
    --
    You need to make sure that this folder

Windows 7/8/Vista: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\
    Showing hidden files and sytem files and folders: Show hidden files

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager
    Showing hidden files and sytem files and folders: Microsoft Corporation

is not read only and that all permissions are set to full for your user name. The folder will continue showing read only after that, this is an issue in Windows.
    --
    If the problem continues, please send your log files to hm2support@holdemmanager.com with a link to this thread. -
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

Hey Man

I have done what you suggested. The 42gb database has backed up, but the file (.pghembk file) size is 265mb see attached pic. Is that right ?
    hmbackup filepic.JPG

What about the postgres data I assume the backup files scrapes the data from there, and when i wipe the SSD that will be gone ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luckycharms_74; 04-21-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Which PostgreSQL version are you using?

The backup file should be bigger... about 1/10th the size of the database.

Though, how do you know the database is really 42 GB? Can you manually check what the size is of the PosgtreSQL/database folder + C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder

Do you only have one main database?

As an extra precaution, also backup your archive folder, with all the original handhistory files.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Which PostgreSQL version are you using?

The backup file should be bigger... about 1/10th the size of the database.

Though, how do you know the database is really 42 GB? Can you manually check what the size is of the PosgtreSQL/database folder + C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder

Do you only have one main database?

As an extra precaution, also backup your archive folder, with all the original handhistory files.
    I'm using PostgreSQL 8.4.7
    I have attached screen shot of those three items.
    I only have one main DB.

Thanks

Untitled-1.jpg

Do I just copy those files from HM2 archive on the C:?

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this and I apologize for the delay. I have escalated this to our 2nd level support techs and have explained the issues you are having and they will be in touch shortly to help resolve the problem.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

When you created the database, did you pick a different location for the parent folder?
    Default is: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database

That folder should have about 30% of the database (in size).

Yes, either backup the C:/HM2Archive folder (or zip/rar the folder! since it only contains .txt files, the compressed folder will only be 1/20th in size). This way, if the backup/restore fails, you can always reimport the original handhistory files into a new empty database.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

How much free space do you have on your C: drive? More than the 42gb size of your database? If not, try changing the location of your windows \Temp folder - http://forums.holdemmanager.com/gene...ml#post1812431

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    When you created the database, did you pick a different location for the parent folder?
    Default is: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database

That folder should have about 30% of the database (in size).

Yes, either backup the C:/HM2Archive folder (or zip/rar the folder! since it only contains .txt files, the compressed folder will only be 1/20th in size). This way, if the backup/restore fails, you can always reimport the original handhistory files into a new empty database.
    The size of folder in the C:/HM2Archive folder is only 17mb in size.
    I can't recall which location I put the parent directory in originally.
    The Database in postgreSQL is huge 79GB.

database postgreSQL.jpg
    Last edited by Luckycharms_74; 04-25-2013 at 01:24 PM.