PostgreSQL service must be started by wizard each time after computer restart.

Default PostgreSQL service must be started by wizard each time after computer restart.

The first time after a computer restart or a normal boot I get this message when I start HM2.

Holdem Manager cannot connect to the PostgreSQL database server. This wizard will try to help find a solution.

After clicking next, it tells me:

The postgreSQL service is not running. Click "start service" to try to start the:

Followed by server, port, user, and password information.

Once I start service I have to tell it to use my existing database again but it works fine. Any subsequent times i close and open HM2 before shutting down or restarting my computer i don't have to go thru these steps.

Is there a way i can get the postgreSQL service to start automatically so i don't have to go thru this the first time each day.

Thanks.

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue. Please try the following guide step by step: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...rt+PostgreSQL+ - Can’t Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

I followed the guide with no luck. I even completely reinstalled postgresql and HM2 since i have my database synced and it isn't too large.

As for firewalls ... I have windows firewall and windows defender (disabled) ... i tried it with both of these turned off and still no luck. For antivirus i have superantispyware and AVG free (both recently installed and i had same problem without these installed) The computer is basically new, i did have norton anti virus etc which came with PC, but i uninstalled it using control panel previously.

Control pannel - Admistrative tools - services - find Postgres in the list - right click and then properties - Change startup from manual to automatic.

Ya i looked at that. Startup is set to "automatic" though and still have same problem.

THanks for reply tho.

Check if superantispyware corrupted your hosts file by adding lines too it:
    Read: http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

I had been starting the postgresql service thru the wizard each time when opening HM2 for the first time. Just today though i was no longer able to connect to postgresql at all. I followed all the steps in the help video that popped up in holdemmanager about connection problems with postgresql with no luck. So i tried to uninstall postgresql and holdemmanager and reinstall. When running the combo installer it says that postgresql is still installed.

I noticed that under services postgresql-8.4 is still there. I also tried to type net user postgres /delete in the command prompt but it says: 'net' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operade program or batch file.

My hosts file was fine too.

I was able to delete the service using: Re: [GENERAL] How to uninstall PostgreSQL 8.4 on both Windows XP and Win

However, i still get same problem where i have to use the wizard to start the postgresql service after computer start up.

We have been seeing issues with AVG lately. We recommend Microsoft Security Essentials.

Check your firewall's rules - create an incoming, outgoing rule for postgres on the port 5433.

- Please see these steps to fix postgresql connection issues:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...rt+PostgreSQL+

- Please make sure that you have allowed postgres and pg_ctl in your firewall and antivirus exceptions. They are in postgres\bin.

- Please update windows fully. Please keep checking until it shows twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates.

- Please update your network adapter. Open device manager and find the model #. Search google for the model # drivers to download.

- Please run the windows repair on your winsock:

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

If you are using Mcafee, Norton, Comodo or AVG for security, they have been causing a lot of issues with postgres lately. We recommend using a different program, such as Microsoft's firewall and Microsoft Security Essential. If you do feel that you need Comodo or AVG, uninstall first, install postgres, then reinstall after it is working.

Download the same version you are running from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database - do not use 9.1.

Right click the setup file, click properties. Click the unblock button at the bottom.

Empty the c:\temp and/or c:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folders.

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)