cannot combine two custom hand value filters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cannot combine two custom hand value filters

I've made two separate hand value filters and saved them to two different files. In this case, there's one for having any two card flush draw on the flop and another for two overcards on the flop. (So basically I'm trying to find hands with 15 outs that's )

After closing & reopening the filters window, I can load both by adding the quick filters for the files and they seem to be applied correctly in that window.
    quick filters.png

But then when I hit ok, the report screen shows hands for just the two overcards, and it seemed to ignore the other flush draw filter.
    filters not applied.png

This is just one example, but it seems to happen when I combine two filters this way. I can't get the results by making one filter because it uses the boolean AND, which is impossible because you can't have a nut flush draw as well as a high and low flush draw. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

Is this a bug? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

I have escalated your issue to our 2nd level support techs and they will respond to your email as soon as possible.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Cool. Thanks.

Fyi, this isn't the only time this happens. Basically any time you try to combine more than one kind of flush (or even more than one kind of straight) with a pair, you get the same result. So when importing custom hand values from a file, HM just seems to choose one or the other once you try to apply it. Don't think it's necessarily this specific combination.

I created it, but I'm checking to see if there's a way to make what you're wanting to make. I made that exact filter, but it's using only the OR or AND.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Hmmm. Well, the problem with trying to combine all of these values in one filter is that if you use the OR boolean, you'd be asking for hands with Two Overcards OR Nut Flush OR High Flush, etc., in which case you're getting a large number of hands that either have overcards or a flush draw, but not both.

Likewise, if you try to combine them all in one filter using the AND boolean, you get no results because it's impossible for any one hand to have a Nut FD AND a High FD AND a low FD, etc.

So what I was trying to do was create two separate OR filters, saving them to different files, then combine both by adding them together filter menu. I guess it was my attempt at a workaround to the fact that HM doesn't have an option for these kinds of hands in the hand value list on the flop or turn, nor does it seem to allow you to have a combination of AND & OR in one filter. (Does that make sense?)

At the end of the day, what I'm trying to do is filter for hands with a lot of outs. A FD with two overs is one example. Another one would be, say, a pair using the board + a FD + a gutshot (17 outs). So would a pair using the board + OESD (13 outs). So would none of be possible?

Last thing....

I think the problem is that you can't add a generic flush as one item in the hand value list. So as soon as you try to combine the various kinds of FDs with something like a pair (which requires you use the AND boolean), it breaks the filter.

In the Hand Values Filters try to use "None of" to combine filters and select all the other flop hand values opposite of what you want to combine.

You can also try to mark hands with a 'flush draws' tag and then mark 'pairs' and use the More Reports > By HandMarking report to see where they overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    In the Hand Values Filters try to use "None of" to combine filters and select all the other flop hand values opposite of what you want to combine.
    Nope. It seems like that should work (despite it being a but clumsy), but it definitely doesn't. Looking at the # hands it retrieves, I'm actually just seeing about 90% of all my hands.

You can also try to mark hands with a 'flush draws' tag and then mark 'pairs' and use the More Reports > By HandMarking report to see where they overlap.
    In theory, I suppose this could work. But personally I'm pretty invested in a system of hand markings already, and several of my reports work on the fact that my hands are marked. This would be far from ideal for me.

So as far as you can tell, is there no way to filter for draws like this, hands with more than around 14 or 15 outs? That's kind of an important thing to be able to see, no? I suppose this is now kind of a feature request, but I think there should be a way to make the boolean aspect of filters work the way they do in PokerTracker 4. (I'm assume you guys are more than a little familiar with it.) Here's a screen shot of how their filters work. You can combine AND with OR filters to get pretty much whatever you want.

PT4 combo filter.png

You get the idea....

I just checked with our QA/Testing Manager and he said that there unfortunately is no way to filter for what you want in HM2 due to UI restrictions. We expect this should be possible in HM3.

Well, fwiw, I'd vote for that being a priority UI upgrade. Finding & reviewing combo hands -- especially trickier ones that I tend to miss -- seems like a pretty important thing to be able to do with tracking software. Looking forward to HM3. Is there an expected release date for that?