HEM2 crashing a lot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HEM2 crashing a lot

Hi, recently converted from PT4 to HEM2 because PT4 froze on me all the time. Uninstalled postgresql and then installed HEM2 with postgresql. Imported about 1million hands and played a bit. So far it's crashed around 10-15 times already at different times; during import, during play, during me doing stuff in HEM2, no real logic to it. Sigh... Is there any way to improve the stability from my side?

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

Please make sure you are running HM2 as an administrator
    1) Go to C:\Program Files\Holdem Manager 2 (Program Files (x86) for the 64bit version)
    2) Right click the HoldemManager.exe and choose "Properties".
    3) Go to the Compatibility Tab and select "Run this program as an Administrator".
    4) Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for HudFuncsApp.exe

Add exceptions for HM2, PostgreSQL, and any other programs you use for poker to your firewall and anti-virus exceptions lists.
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...%28Firewall%29

Turn off User Account Control: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/1...windows-7/]How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life

Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates.
    --
    You need to make sure that this folder

7/Vista: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\
    Showing hidden files and sytem files and folders: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial151.html

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager
    Showing hidden files and sytem files and folders: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

is not read only and that all permissions are set to full for your user name. The folder will continue showing read only after that, this is an issue in Windows.
    --
    If you continue to have problems, please reproduce the problem and send your log file to hm2support@holdemmanager.com with a link to this thread. -
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

Did everything, no help. Can't reproduce the problem as it crashes all the time.. While playing, working in holdemmanager and during startup of the program. It even caused my computer to crash during play. However, if you still want the log, tell me.

Stability should be no 1 priority right now, the program is even less stable than PT4, it's like an early beta that shouldn't be sold.
    Last edited by pepsin; 01-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.

When there is a crash, please sent your full log.txt file, located in the following folder to hm2support@holdemmanager.com:

Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\

---

Both PT4 (which would freeze for you) and HM2 (which crashes) are stable. Also HM2 is incapable to make your computer crash.
    So the likely cause of your issues is:
    -1 a corrupt PostgreSQL database.... and whenever specific data is read from the database, the program will crash (or PT4 would freeze). Solution: radically uninstall PostgreSQL with Revo: Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems
    Then reinstall it to a different folder
    -2 bad clusters on your harddisk... similar to "1" whenever your computer attempts to read a file...: this can be a PostgreSQL file, but also a HoldemManager file, it crashes. Solution: run a SCANDISK (CHKDSK) on your full harddisk. And reinstall HoldemManager.
    -3 a corrupt Windows installation (also similar to 1 and 2)
    Solution: run a SCANDISK (CHKDSK), run a Windows REPAIR, install EVERY Windows Update including ALL .net framework updates, etc. (most drastic fix is a format of the harddisk with a full Windows reinstall)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Thanks for your help, I'm in the process of doing those steps now. Sorry for being a bit rude, just got so tired of nothing working. Couldn't recreate a crash as HM2 now can't connect to the postgresql db at all, but sent the logfile anyways.

Reinstalled both postgresql and HM2 and ran chkdisk. It seems a bit more stable now, but still crashing some times. This clearly happens more often when the DB is bigger (currently 1.3mill hands), as the program was perfectly stable when I had few hands in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pepsin View Post
    now can't connect to the postgresql db at all,

Which PostgreSQL version are you using?
    Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

I believe it's 8.4 as I just took the bundle that was included in the HM2 installing package.

Windows 7, windows firewall (added all exceptions) and webroot secure anywhere (can't find any firewall on this one, not sure if included).

It's strange as it doesn't happen everytime, which leads me to believe it's not the firewall (?). It just happened again, and a restart of the computer solved it for this time.

Full list :

Files to exclude in antivirus\firewall
    postgresql/Х.x/bin\pg_ctl.exe
    postgres.exe
    all pokerclients EXE

For ХМ2:
    in C:\Program Files\Holdem Manager 2\
    HoldemManager.exe
    HudFuncsApp.exe
    TableScannerDllLoader.exe
    ThirtyTwoBitIPC.exe

Folders to exclude (totally):
    postgresql\data
    hm2archive
    all folders where rooms writes original HHs
    and this folder:
    %appdata%\HoldemManager\

How to do for Kaspersky - see here

Hi, disabled the firewall alltogether just in case. Nothing is improved however, it crashes and like every 2nd time I load HM2 it cannot connect to the database. What happens is this: It takes a lot of time loading and usually during the loading of the poker module the outline of the program pops up, disappears, pops up again and so forth.. After 2-3 minutes I get the message it cannot find the db and I'm offered to go through some steps finding it manually. Restarting the computer usually makes HM2 find the db, but only temporarily. HM2 and postgresql are installed on two different drives, this shouldn't matter right?