HM2: very slow on my pc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down HM2: very slow on my pc

Hello team,
    I have major issue with personal PC (2GB RAM, Win 7, HP Pavillon).
    When I use HM2 with 5 SH tables, the software is slowing down the whole machine. it is not usable anymore after a while.
    it looks like memory used is growing with time.

Are you aware of this problem? are there improvements planified? are there some way to decrease the resources used by the application?

Thanks,

Cyril

What processor? And any way you can add RAM? It's dirt cheap these days, and 2GB for a database-heavy application like HM2 while also multi-tabling is really stretching things. I consider 4GB really a bare minimum these days. I don't see any performance issues on my 8GB and 16GB machines when 6-8 tabling Merge.
    Last edited by Veteran68; 05-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.

i got 16gb and the performance still sucks......freezed screen sometimes etc

Quote Originally Posted by rocky1974 View Post
    i got 16gb and the performance still sucks......freezed screen sometimes etc
    I agree. I am not sure it will solve completely the problem. I still have 1 GB available. I really think that it was not implemented correctly and it stucks on older PCs. maybe there are options to remove in order to have better performance.

I saw a dedicated thread with advices. I check it first and let you know.

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing performance issues with HM2.

If you could take the time to work through the following questions this should greatly help us narrow down where the issue may be and to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ZTAxZk9YcEE6MQ

I got Intel Core i7 and 8gb ram and it stil VERY VERY slow! Software is unbelivebely buggy and slow. Im still using HM1. I'm confused how HM crew could release so buggy software. OMG!
    P.S.
    Crysis 2 on Maximized settings runs smooth on my PC
    Last edited by dmitry10; 05-24-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

Did you fill out the document in the above post to help us narrow down and resolve the issue?

Have you tried reinstalling the latest version of HM2?

http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...er_2_Setup.exe

Make sure to install HM2 on an administrator account and run HM2 as an administrator.

Please turn off User Account Control (UAC).

Add holdemmanager.exe, hudfuncapps.exe, postgres and pg_ctl to the exceptions list in the firewall and antivirus software.

If the problem persists please reproduce the issue and send your log.txt file to hm2support@holdemmanager.com with a link to this thread. -

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...ger+Support%3F

Lightbulb I had the same problem, but solved it

Quote Originally Posted by superalaise View Post
    Hello team,
    I have major issue with personal PC (2GB RAM, Win 7, HP Pavillon).
    When I use HM2 with 5 SH tables, the software is slowing down the whole machine. it is not usable anymore after a while.
    it looks like memory used is growing with time.

Are you aware of this problem? are there improvements planified? are there some way to decrease the resources used by the application?

Thanks,

Cyril
    EDIT: I'm sorry for my sub-standard English. It's not my first language, and I wrote this in a hurry since I asumed that the solution would be of greater importance to you than correct spelling and grammar, etc.

Hi Cyril,

I had the exact same problem and many of the related problems that other people describe in this thread. It was extremely slow, it was lagging, sometimes freezing up for minutes not responding to my mouse or keyboard, etc. etc. But then I bothered to read the forum and support pages to discover, that most AntiVirus and Firewall software needs to be configured to accept HM2 as an exception. Hence, I did as suggested and voilá, it runs like a charm, even with a database with more than 3 million hands.

In my case I have Kaspersky Internet Security, but this will no doubt apply to most AV solutions, such as McAffee, AVG, Symantec/Norton, Avast, AntiVir, etc. I know that they all have exception lists. In my case I only had to change the list of programs with no/little/medium/high restrictions (or something like that) and move HoldemManager.exe to the section with no restrictions. I did the same for postgresql.exe and the add-ons I'm running. Personally I've bought the full advanced version of NoteCaddy and the LeakBuster Premium (both very recommendable, by the way), and I simply moved/added these programs to the list of programs that should be trusted/allowed to open/close files without scanning. (In most AntiVirus solutions the thing you should look for is something like, "Trusted Programs", "Exceptions", "Scan Rules", etc.).

It solved everything, and in retrospect it seems quite logical. The PostgreSQL makes a huge amount of disk operations, and sometimes more than 10 instances of PostgreSQL runs at once (wich is normal by the way as each SQL query gets its own instance of postgresql.exe).

I was about to give up on the program but I am happy now that I didn't since it runs lige a charm now.

TIP!! - The simplest way to test if the above mentioned soulution will also help in your case is to turn off/disable your Firewall and AntiVirus temporarily and see if that has any effect on your HM2. If it makes it run a lot smoother you know the solution to your problem. If you run with the built in Windows Firewall (not recommended btw, use 3rd party firewall from respectable provider, such as above mentioned AV solutions), or the Windows Defender they can have the same effect on HM2 and should be trimmed accordingly.

If you have more questions concerning the details of which files to move to the "safe sction" in your AntiVirus solution/Firewall, etc. I will be more than happy to help since I know just how frustrating this can be. Just say the word, and I will do what I can.

Best regards

Beninu, DENMARK

P.S. I am a computer pro (through 21 yrs now), being a server/network admin and software developer in the municipality of my hometown, but I am not in any way connected to or affiliated with HM2 or any division thereof. I am just a regular user, and as such, bought the program and the add-ons through the Holdem Manager website like anybody else. I've given the advice in good faith, and only if it has proven fruitful on my own setup/computer/system, and I am sincerely convinced that the advice I've given will not harm anyones computer/software/OS/configuration or the functionallity of these. Use my advice at your own risk. I cannot take any responsibility for the consequences of following any advice I've given in the forum.
    Last edited by beninu; 05-26-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by beninu View Post
    EDIT: [I] In my case I only had to change the list of programs with no/little/medium/high restrictions (or something like that) and move HoldemManager.exe to the section with no restrictions. I did the same for postgresql.exe
    Im sorry but i cant seem to find the postgresql.exe to make an exception on AVG antivirus. Anyways i made an exception for the whole folder, but i still want to make an exception for that file specificly. But i just can find the postgres.exe. Can you tell me in wich folder it is please?

I found the solution to HEM, I bought PT4 (pocker Tracker). It is much much better